Heart attack time. Almost watched my two-week old Clarity get t-boned in a police chase

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by weave, Jul 31, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. weave

weave Active Member

I was just having lunch, looking out the window and saw a small white SUV flying down the highway being chased by two police cars with lights on. She turned into the pizza place, then into the parking lot, and stopped just about 10 feet from my car. The police jumped out and pulled her out of the car, then two more police cars showed up.

I'm having a heart attack, gave the waitress $20 on a $10 check and just ran out to get my car out of there. I was afraid the perp might jump back into her vehicle and try to get away, or even guns coming out and bullets hitting my car (notice my lack of concern for human life here - :p) Who knows. I didn't want to wait to find out.

In this graphic, the maroon box is me, white box is the perp, blue boxes are the police cars.

I don't need this kind of excitement in my life!

spp.png

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

New cars attract bad drivers (usually in uninsured beaters). You're lucky, a bullet through your Clarity's windshield would be an expensive disaster!

weave likes this.
  4. PHEV Newbie

PHEV Newbie Well-Known Member

Someone crashed into my Clarity less than a month after I bought it. That was painful.

5. insightman

Was it difficult to find a body shop that works on aluminum cars? After someone ran into my aluminum Insight, I had to travel 40 miles to a shop that specializes in fixing Audis and Ferrari and Lamborghini sports cars. I'm surprised aluminum cars are not significantly more expensive to insure than steel cars.

6. Odobo

Odobo Active Member

Not all welder knows how or want to deal with aluminum welding, that's probably why not every shop can fix the car. But the work isn't all that different so the charge rate is comparable

I swear to God there is gotta be a higher accident rate on new cars than cars > 6 months or something....

insightman likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. PHEV Newbie

PHEV Newbie Well-Known Member

They backed into my front end so it was some internal parts that needed replacing and the front bumper cover repaired and repainted. There was just a little visible damage but it cost $3000 for the repair. It wasn't too difficult for them to handle. Luckily, the paint (white) is the same as on other existing Honda models so that wasn't a problem. BTW, that was my first accident in over 25 years (knock on wood!).

9. alyssai

alyssai Member

Someone also backed into my car in front of my house while I was parke. This was less than 3 months after I got the car. The person must've been drunk since he/she had to have gone up the curb to hit me like that. It damaged 6 different parts, but luckily there was no internal damage. I collected the tail light shards and determined that the person that hit me drove an old 1997-1998 Lexus ES 300, but never found the person. Had to pay $500 deductible out of pocket. :(

Attached Files:

10. JJim

JJim Active Member

I am so sorry to hear that. That is why we need the dashcam with parking mode turned on.

11. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

See now, you should have made the perp maroon, so we could all say...

[​IMG]

Seriously, glad you and your new "baby" are okay.
    :)

su_A_ve and weave like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Last night my son backed into the front driver quarter panel just behind the headlight!!! There's a two inch scratch there now with a small dent. :-( I thanked him because now I don't have to worry about the first scratch. :)

14. GentLarry

GentLarry New Member

My Clarity was caught outside of Denver near a toronado in a hail storm during a cross country trip. I commented earlier but deleted the post. The body shop had to to cut the roof off, replace all the outside panels and doors, mirrors, front and back glass were destroyed and the estimate came to $19,000 for repairs. What originally started out as a three week job took 85 days before I got the car back. Three week, three more weeks was very frustrating to hear but car parts were a bear to get and the shop did a good job putting it back together.

15. insightman

Thanks for the report. I was really wondering what happened after reading your original post. What an ordeal!

16. GentLarry

GentLarry New Member

I took my car to the body shop to get the hood tweaked and then to the Honda Dealership and was told they canceled my new car warranty because of the hail damage to the car. All the damage was external so I will discuss it with them tomorrow or Thursday to see what's going on.

insightman likes this.
  17. weave

weave Active Member

Wow, surprised it wasn't totaled. Well it's worth more than $19k of course, but there's probably a lot of salvage value in that car that would be worth quite a bit more than new car price - $19k. Like if the engine and battery pack were fine, for example.