Have you planned a long trip in Canada?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Lex23, Aug 10, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Lex23

Lex23 Member

Hi all,
    I’m looking to have a longer trip within BC, it’s like a 9 hr drive + charging time. I haven’t used public chargers as much and was hoping to get some help.. any recommendations on how to plan the trip? Around 900km but going up in the mountains.
    Looking to see how to find chargers (i only have the ChargePoint app and Plugshare.. should I need other ones?
    Of course I’ll want some fast charging as I’d rather make the trip in one day to have more time on destination.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Certainly depends on your destination :)
    I recently did a day trip Langley->Merritt->Kelowna->Enderby->Kamloops->return via Coquihalla. 13 hours, including charging at PetroCan in Kelowna and Kamloops.
    Apps that help, but are not to be taken as gospel for BC, PlugShare, A Better Route Planner and BC Hydro's app.

Lex23 likes this.
  4. Lex23

Lex23 Member

Great! Thank you. I just downloaded the bc hydro app and the Plugshare.
    Out of curiosity. Did you make it all the way to Kelowna or Kamloops in one charge from Langley?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

5. Could have as I started out from home at 100% but en-route only charged to 80%. I made 20 minute safety stops at Brittany Creek both ways. I'm still somewhat in chicken mode. Like to arrive at destination/charger with 100km-ish left, especially away from home in case a plan B is needed due to charger outage.

Lex23 and electriceddy like this.
  6. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

For this,. Better trip planner is a good choice, it will tell you where you will need to stop. EVnavigation is another choice. I used to like Electrip, but it doesn't seem to work anymore.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I found that for Vancouver/Lower Mainland going North the ABRP is pretty useless. No route Vancouver to Calgary as an example. PlugShare trip planning pretty good. All a bit of a crapshoot though. That's why I like to keep 100 kms as my 'reserve' :)

9. Thanks for mentioning EVnavigation. Had not heard of it before. Has some useful features. Wish it had more info about the actual chargers though.

10. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

Yeah, I find I have to cross reference with plugshare, but it at least tells me where I need to stop.

11. I want to drive up to Stewart BC in my Kona EV. I was there 2 years in our ICE car and want to go back. BC Hydro is in the process of installing more free chargers on the way, and should be good to go by next summer. Should be able to do the whole trip free.

It is a part of BC that most people (incl those in BC) don't know anything about. Along the way, good place to spend a day is in Barkerville. I learned more about the history of BC in one day, than you would ever learn in school. Did you know that BC would not even exist today if it wasn't for Billy Barker?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

I have a planned trip TO Canada but you guys are not opening your border.. I had actually booked my flight for me, my wife and our 2 kids to Edmonton to tour the National Parks in the Rockies for late march.. Canada decided to close their borders the day before our flight... Swoop Airline only gave us a credit, not a refund... However, as the border is closed for tourists, Swoop has stopped all flights from Orlando to Edmonton and I can't even use my credit to book my flights.. We hope that by October, the border will open again..

14. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

You should be able to push for a cash refund, not just a credit

15. Yeah, I thought this covid thing would be behind us by now, but guess that was just wishful thinking. Now I wouldn't bet that the border will be open by Oct.

16. FloridaSun

I tried but all they would give me was a credit...

17. FloridaSun

Could very well still be closed..