Has anyone successfully added a switch to turn VSS off/on?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by hwitten, Jun 21, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Occasionally we travel under 30kmh when there is no traffic and after a while the VESS gets a bit annoying. I don't want to unplug it, just want to add a switch so that I can enable/disable it as needed/wanted.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. It's really going to be quite simple to add for anyone with a hobbyist background, or even by a local auto electrician if needed. One normally-open pushbutton switch and one 200 ohm resistor, from the pin 7 VESS connection to a nearby ground. The hardest part might be removing the connector to tap into the wire as the switch panel is secured by screws at the back. I have it on good authority that the wire is present even when the button is not.

Image of schematics.png
    IMG_2524.jpeg

Fastnf, ericy and hwitten like this.
  4. NRH

NRH Active Member

When adding a switch that your car doesn't have, by far the most aesthetically pleasing way to do it is to replace your switch block with the OEM switch block that includes the function that you want to add. (I've done this on my Tundra.)
    That picture above is of a single part, with all those switches together. Buy that, and replace your existing switch block.

Fastnf likes this.
  5. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

There is no reason why I would ever want it on.. If you unplug it, you can plug it back in in less than 10 seconds.. No reason to go through all the effort to adding a switch...

6. A shot from under the dash of the connection at the rear of the 'crashpad' switchblock. I would assume the latch is pressed in to release but I'm not certain. Tapping into the wires could be done by extracting the pin and carefully soldering a fine gauge stranded wire onto the strain relief part of the pin. Or, just tap into the wire higher up and tape it up.
    To buy a whole new switchblock I think you might have to get one from an EU-spec LHD version, same as mine but a mirror image. A suitable pushbutton is easy to find at an electronics retailer, this one needs a 12mm hole.

upload_2020-6-23_9-29-6.png SP0656-ip67-rated-dome-pushbutton-switch-blackImageMain-515.jpg

hwitten likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. KiwiMe, the pushbutton switch would be momentary or alternately latching close/open?

9. Momentary contact, and would have to be pushed every time you restart the car.
    If you don't want to take the crash pad apart an alternate would be to run a single conductor small gauge wire to pin 3 of the VESS module connector and ground the switch end thru a 200 ohm resistor at the switch location.
    Lots of details in this thread (early posts):
    https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/turn-off-vess-virtual-engine-sound-system.5821/#post-63916

10. Perfect. Thank you.

11. GeorgeS

GeorgeS Active Member

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Jimct

Jimct Active Member

This whole "car noise" business is baloney, I had a Subaru Forester that cruised through parking lots making far less noise than the Kona's VESS. The modern mufflers today are highly effective. I unplugged the VESS in my Kona and haven't come close to nailing anybody yet. I'm convinced the oil & gas industry is doing all it can to discourage the emergence of electric cars by using its lobbying influence to get laws passed to make EV's unattractive. In many states you can't buy a Tesla because it's factory direct, and the influential car dealers lobby won't tolerate it. I have an order in for a Model 3 delivery in September, and have to drive a rental two hours to New York to get it. If it comes with a VESS I can't unplug it might be a deal breaker.

apu likes this.
  14. Canada to follow suit with that regulation as well, around early 2020 as originally reported by Transport Canada. It is more likely to be enforced after the US adopts the same. (see "quiet vehicle regulations" down the page a bit:
    https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/acts-regulations/road-safety-initiatives-planned.html

GeorgeS likes this.
  15. As one who has the factory-installed switch I can say that it has proven to be very useful in practice.

16. It was kind of disappointing not having that feature on Canadian spec, and was and still is one of my priorities on my to do list.
    I guess even if it was included and the regulations do change, they could disable it through an update or some other means if required. I am hoping that new regulation will apply to vehicles manufactured after the adoption date, but I doubt it. More than likely if an aftermarket switch were added, it would be regarded as bypassing an included safety system included in the original vehicle, so hence the wait on my part.
    Too bad that 8 pin connector keeps coming loose on the front though, I will have to report it to the repair shop one of these days;)

Fastnf likes this.
  17. I don't see how the requirement could retroactively apply to cars that happened to comply before the regs came into effect. Also, note we can already temporarily turn off LFA/LKA and stability control, items encompassed within the official safety ratings.
    I'm normally loath to modify my car, for resale, warranty and insurance reasons, but if I didn't have the VESS switch I would have certainly made an exception. Even just a pushbutton hanging on a wire that could be easily removed. A small pin soldered to the end of one switch wire could be pushed into the relevant conductor and removed later as needed without leaving any obvious damage. The ground could be done with an alligator clip.
    Even more clever would be to identify and source the electrical connectors and make up a plug-in adapter loom. Those would sell like hotcakes.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
    Carnage and electriceddy like this.
  18. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

I was playing with the website where they sell parts. There are a few variants of the switch block.

93710-J9110-TRY Kona. Without blind spot mntr.
    93710-J9120-TRY Kona. With blind spot mntr, without head-up display, without lane assist.
    93710-K4200-TRY Kona Electric. With blind spot mntr, without head-up display, with lane asst, with ev, black.
    93710-K4200-YPK With blind spot mntr, without head-up display, with lane asst, with ev, gray.
    93710-K4220-TRY Kona Electric. With blind spot mntr, with head-up display, with ev, black.
    93710-K4220-YPK With blind spot mntr, with head-up display, with ev, gray.

They run around 100$. But there is no guarantee that they have the VESS switch - the parts website just has crude drawings with not a lot of detail, but I see no sign of such a switch.

upload_2020-6-25_21-54-22.png

The grey ones have been discontinued..

navguy12 and electriceddy like this.
  19. I thought of this but have not located 3rd party connectors available to this point:(

https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/turn-off-vess-virtual-engine-sound-system.5821/page-6#post-78003

20. New regulations will only affect vehicles manufactured after the regulations are published in the federal Canada Gazette. Regulations have historically never been retroactive unless the law involves firearms or some other politically motivated feel good nonsense.

Peter Pitman and GeorgeS like this.
  21. hwitten and Fastnf like this.