Got my windows tinted today

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by loomis2, Jan 8, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. loomis2

loomis2 Well-Known Member

I would tell you it was to keep the car cooler in the summer because of the black interior, or to cut down on the uv rays, but really it was because I think it looks cool.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

It looks good. Is that the green one or black?

4. bfd

bfd Active Member

I had mine done last week. I did a 20 rear / 30 front split. I had 20 all the way around on my Prius, but I was not really happy with the nighttime visibility, so I decided to go a little lighter this time. I'll post a few pics when it stops raining. Since it's the first rain we've had at all since October, I'm not anxious to see it leave.

5. loomis2

The black, although the photos do make it seem rather greenish. In Ohio you are not allowed to go darker than 50 on the front windows, so it is a 50/20 split. I'm not supposed to lower the windows for five days so no drive thru's for me, and I better not accidentally hold down the unlock button on the key fob too long. :)

6. Kendalf

Kendalf Active Member

Looks nice! One nice advantage of purchasing vs leasing the car is that I can get the windows tinted. Did the shop mention anything about the Clarity being more difficult than other cars? That big, very raked rear glass might be a bit of a pain, I imagine.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. loomis2

They didn't mention any problems. It took them longer than they said, but they didn't say anything about it when they were done.

9. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Just had shop that does tinting for local Honda dealer do mine. KY requires front windows to be 30% LTV, do I did 30 on side windows and 20 on the rear window. Paid extra for Winco’s advanced premium that has maximum heat (infra-red) rejection to keep Car cooler and decrease A/C usage.
    Next week will have 70% put on windshield for same reason. That front has a lot of glass! Should help with keeping the dash from cracking down the road. FWIW, the 70% was the clearest they make and is practically unnoticeable. Check your state’s laws on this before proceeding.

Kendalf likes this.
  10. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

I believe in CA you can't tint the windshield.

11. Kendalf

Kendalf Active Member

Yes, and technically you cannot tint the front side windows either, since CA law requires 70% VLT on the fronts and the factory glass on many cars allows 70-80% light transmission without tint. But many people still add tint anyway, and for the most part law enforcement tends to overlook it unless you go very dark or if you commit some driving violation and then a tint infraction gets added on top. I had my windshield and sides done with 70% 3M Crystalline and it is almost unnoticeable, but does cut heat dramatically.

EDIT: Mine was the first Clarity done at the tint shop I chose and the owner declared that the Clarity's windshield is one of the hardest he has ever done, due to the size as well as the specific way it curves. He said that in the future he would be charging more for Clarity windshield's than what he quoted me. ;)

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. bfd

bfd Active Member

There are some weird cutouts in the windshield as well - for the forward facing camera. I had mine done pretty much right after I bought it (SolarGard Galaxie 20% rear / 30% front). The tint difference in front helps with side vision at night. We didn't do the small window in the trunk - can't really tell.

The tint shop owner also mentioned the number of windows in the car - "Has Honda gone into the window business now?" Each of the smaller windows takes extra time and wasted material. So I guess it adds up. Still, he only charged $225 for all 5 windows, so not bad considering the extra labor.

[​IMG]

Yes, there is snow in SoCal this time of year.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  14. Kendalf

Kendalf Active Member

Wow, that tint contrasts nicely with the green!

15. dstrauss

dstrauss Well-Known Member

@bfd That is one sharp looking Clarity!

16. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

ABE0E5FF-4DF9-4CB3-8B43-40AA0F04C01B.jpeg 43786771-7D3C-4404-B437-804C2F11FBAF.jpeg Here is my pearl white after tinting 30% VLT on sides, 20% on rear. Legal and heat rejecting! Also has 70% on windshield. But as always, Check local laws before proceeding. Does not impede vision at all. Hopefully the car will be cooler this summer and protect the interior plastic from damage (I keep my cars long enough for this to be a concern). I absolutely like your green Clarity but I had never had a white car before so...
    BTW, the tint looks darker and less see through in real life than in the pix.

wpc, Lucien Mcleod, Domenick and 4 others like this.