Gen-3 Honda Insight

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by bwilson4web, Jun 23, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Nodding off to sleep last night, I realized the newest, 3d generation, Honda Insight is joining a small group of hybrids getting +50 MPG:
    • Camry Hybrid
    • Honda Insight
    • Hyundai Insight Blue
    • Hyundai Insight
    • Prius Gen-4 ECO
    • Prius Gen-4
    There was a long time when the Prius dominated this group. A lot of plug-in users, like me, came from the Prius world.

Bob Wilson

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Steven B

Steven B Active Member

Forgiven since you were nodding off, but the Hyundai model is the 'Ioniq'.

Domenick and bwilson4web like this.
  4. bwilson4web

Wide awake now, Honda Insight is joining a small group of hybrids getting +50 MPG:
    • Camry Hybrid
    • Honda Insight
    • Hyundai Ioniq Blue (test driven)
    • Hyundai Ioniq
    • Prius Gen-4 ECO
    • Prius Gen-4 (test driven)
    My test drives were disappointments:
    1. Prius Gen-4 Level 3 with a moonroof was the lowest trim that had the now standard, TSS-P package. I took the car to one of my standard benchmark loops and only got 99 MPG. The Gen-4 ECO would easily get +105 MPG but it did not come with TSS-P. When the dealer's last offer was $28k, I bought a 2014 BMW i3-REx for $29k and never looked back.
    2. Ioniq Blue was a nice car with a lot of interior space but poor instrumentation and a dual-clutch, stepped transmission. Unlike the Prius, you have to look through the steering wheel and the MPG meter stops at 99 MPG. But the stepped transmission was really an unpleasant throwback.
    Bob Wilson

5. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

Is the 3rd gen Insight a non-plug-in HEV, like the previous two generations, or is it a PHEV?

6. bwilson4web

It is a two-motor hybrid which avoids the technical problems of their IMA and other single motor hybrids like the Hyundai and Kia hybrids.

Bob Wilson

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Jwbj

Jwbj New Member

Recently filled me Kia Niro phev and took back to back road trips totaling over 400 miles. Gauge showed I was averaging over 60 mpg. And since I have over 1/4 tank of gas left its probably not too far off. 10+ gal. tank.