Front detection warning not functioning as it was...

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by Kia Guy, Sep 20, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Kia Guy

Kia Guy Active Member

Bit of an odd issue and I'm not sure if it's user-error or not.

For over one year, every time I would pull into my garage, I would get the front-objective detection system beeping at me as I got closer and closer to my freezer/belongings in my garage.

For the past week, it does not do this when I pull into my garage. If I put the car in reverse, it starts beeping right away warning that there's something in front of me.

If I put the car into park, and then put it into drive, it beeps at me and behaves like it normally does.

But if I drive any length of time, it seems to turn off?

Any ideas here?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. What year and model do you have? My 2020 EV does not have front parking distance sensors.

Greg

4. Kia Guy

Kia Guy Active Member

2019 SX Premium

I know I have front parking sensors because they drove me nuts for a year. Now that they aren't functioning, I want them back!

5. Maybe they are not parking sensors, but radar from the collision avoidance... do you see the little circular ultrasonic sensors in your front bumper like you see in the rear?

Greg

6. Kia Guy

Kia Guy Active Member

Yeah, they're there.

I am absolutely 100% certain that they had been used as parking sensors for over one year. My wife and I can both attest to how annoying we found it in our tight garage! So I have no idea why they are now not activating. They ONLY activate if I put the car in reverse, then the front and rear sensors are active.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Given that info the sensors are working in those conditions it sounds like a control issue, some module to be reprogrammed or replaced. Sounds like it would be a good idea to take it in and have it checked out for warranty repairs. At least it is a minor issue and should not leave you stranded without your Niro's ability to be driven, while replacement parts are to be ordered.;)

mho likes this.
  9. Agreed, cannot think of anything else, other that if you have any parking sensor defeat switch, and the defeat has stayed on ... I have one in my 2020 that stops the beeping in reverse inside the car (but not the 1,000 decibel blast outside)

Is there any switch defined to have anything to do with the parking sensors?

10. Kia Guy

Kia Guy Active Member

Yeah, there's no tactile button for this.

I'll have to take it into Kia to get this sorted.

11. Paul Humphrey

Paul Humphrey New Member

Sorry I’m very late to this but I had the EXACT same issue in my 2019 EX Premium. Took it to the dealer. They insisted there was no problem but whatever they did mysteriously fixed it and no issues since. This was over a year ago. They wouldn’t admit to any fault so I can’t tell you what the problem was. Because it got resolved I didn’t push the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Kia Guy

Kia Guy Active Member

I should have updated this.

The issue was that there IS a tactile button. It's to the right of the gear-selector and it's a "P" with a little icon. Once I activated that, all was back to normal.