Frantic short's trying to re-run acceleration FUD that was used on Lexus

Discussion in 'General' started by 101101, Jan 17, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. 101101

101101 Well-Known Member

Some years ago when Lexus was killing it in the states this line came up about their accelerator sticking. Seen before not going to work here on Tesla. https://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/toyota-pay-12b-hiding-deadly-unintended-acceleration/story?id=22972214 Per the sponsored news media in the Toyota case there was apparently a cover up and some how Toyota was able to avoid criminal prosecution by bribing its way out of it by paying a higher fee? How did that work? How come it wasn't both the higher rate and criminal case for actual dissuasion instead or re-enforcing that firms can buy their way out of consequences? How come it wasn't another criminal case for even attempting that? Regardless that settled out about 4 years ago and now Tesla is supposed to have this problem. No, this is bs(ers) trying to make an association in the public's mind out of desperation.

You see they're are trying to suppress headlines that say only Tesla has had success in electric vehicles. And they are getting burned because the heart of global petrol investment Black Rock's CEO Larry Fink said Black Rock is starting a full permanent divestment of petrol (with consequences for companies that don't follow suit) and VW's CEO Herb Dies said VW would be become Nokia against Tesla is if it didn't accelerate it electric game. Also they don't like the headline that Tesla China sales are accelerating. They also keep trying to pin (or bribe to pin) stupid stuff to the Google news feed on Tesla. I keep thinking of most of the big Tesla shorts as proof that intelligence is not a prerequisite for money.
    Saudis also have been executing on their plan to totally divest petrol by selling off all their oil assets and on the day they started even the claim that half their refinery assets were taken off line would rescue prices, nor did messing Iran implying its supply would be taken off line, nor did Trump's attempt to make China buy 55 billion of petrol (which it doesn't need- its a rip off) help prices- and hence we get Black Rock divesting because while Black Rock will admit to have lost 90 billion on petrol over the last decade and admit to having 90 billion in petrol- we all know almost all of its 7 trillion is in petrol or propping it up and now with it leaving that's 41 trillion and risking being divested from petrol Black Rock committed to Paris- you need GND to do that.

Aside for Lary Fink saying he did this because his customers forced him to and he did this as a capitalists not as an environmentalist, something implied or actually said was like: when this game of musical chairs stops those not divested will be annihilated. The peak was a while ago, it is already over, the worthless assets have been permanently economically stranded for a while. People still knowingly intentionally invested in fossil fuels are idiots and criminals (just gambling the law won't catch up with them,) a gamble they are already starting to lose, they aren't going to able to bribe they way out like apparently happened in the Lexus case.

See how the moronic FUD marketing mind works- VW must accelerate electric cars translates into main elective vehicle maker has stuck accelerators. They've tried this claim before on acceleration. But anyone who could think understands in means nothing. In the Lexus case maybe there was a throttle sticking issue. But Tesla is fly by wire- so even if there were a problem (seems there almost certainly isn't not even an isolated one) it is an instant fix with code. Fly by wire has been planes for coming up on 50 years.

While I am at it also noticed that after its apparent again BMW is getting destroyed in CA all around (despite no surprisingly on someone saying it wasn't the case in Florida) there is tripe about CA sales for Tesla being down in the 4th quarter. I doubt that and bet they are up for the year- certain of it. If CA quarter 4 dipped (again doubt it) from what I see with my eyes, can only guess it was to fill record new demand elsewhere. Tesla is the one auto company without a demand problem. Noticed some BS about Toyota's hybrid sales being way up- again seriously doubt that- its Prius has been getting destroyed. Noticed a article saying people should be excited by BMW's new electric 3 series coming in 2023- well that's 3 years late, is coming from a hybrid share platform and its apparently under-powered so its more food for Tesla, BMW is Tesla food.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

Shout out to "hobbit": Thanks for posting this!

I always wanted to know more about the Toyota gas pedal issues. I knew there were at least two problems which were being conflated in the popular press, but I never saw any analysis in sufficient detail to separate the different issues, or any explanation of exactly how a loose floor mat would "trap" the accelerator pedal, or any discussion of whether or not they could occur at the same time.

I learned something today! Thanks again.
    :)

I once had a for-real "unintended acceleration" event in my 1977 Honda Civic CVCC. It was an early Honda car design with some... hmmm... interesting problems. For example, my auto shop mechanic told me that to replace a broken fan belt, he had to unbolt the front two motor mounts and lift the front end of the motor to get the new belt on! That's what I call a very poor design.

Anyway, the problem here was that it was possible for a part of the accelerator linkage attached to the carburetor to wedge itself under the carburetor, not only jamming it in place but also jamming it on at full throttle. (I think that happened only because, and after, the casing of the carburetor itself became loose and needed to be tightened back down. But I digress.) Well, unlike the police officer in the Toyota unintended acceleration case where the floor mat kept the accelerator depressed, when this happened to me on the freeway I didn't panic, but simply shut off the ignition (in those days we actually had keys controlling the ignition) and pulled over to the side of the road to investigate the problem.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    electriceddy likes this.
  4. In my teen days when picking up parts in the company car (1965 Ford Falcon 302) the engine decided to lose one of the motor mounts while I was stopped at a red light. I also shut off the key but not quick enough as the car had traveled half a block at full power and smashed into a barrier on the side of the road.
    After that they issued me a smaller -less powerful car to drive ...Chevy Vega:(

5. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

You have my sympathies. I once got a Chevy Chevette (after my Civic died) as a hand-me-down from my father. Problematic as my early Honda Civic was, I loved that car! Not so much with the Chevette, which appeared on at least one list of "10 worst cars ever made".

bwilson4web likes this.
  6. To remove this ad click here.