Ford underestimating actual range?

Discussion in 'F-150 Lightning' started by RLXXI, May 28, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. RLXXI

RLXXI Active Member

Saw this a little while ago and if this is true then this truck is going to turn reality on it's head as far as ev's go. 460 miles at 100% charge unloaded? o_O

The interesting part about the range starts at about 8:20 if you want to skip the rest but it's a very good in depth look at this truck, more so than Ford has actually released.

Last edited: May 28, 2021
    electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Thanks for the video reference. Probably in your neck of the woods (or for that matter anywhere with a warm climate) should expect better than EPA. I would also expect Ford to estimate range a little on the low side as to avoid any future controversy.
    The guess of 140 to 200 kWh is pretty broad and really doesn't provide a true answer. Under promising and over delivering is a good scenario hopefully relevant here. I would think details of the usable pack size will come out before actual deliveries, pertinent information for long range travel plans vs cost/hauling loads particularly with the commercial side of the market.

4. RLXXI

RLXXI Active Member

All I can say is,.... (The future's so bright, I gotta wear shades). :cool:

DaleL and Fastnf like this.
  5. SThomas219

SThomas219 Active Member

Ford did the same with the Mach-E. Most Mach-E owners are getting above the EPA estimates once they drive them for awhile.

I am sure winter months will put a damper on those ranges for both the Mach-E and F-150 Lightning. That's the nature of batteries in cold weather.

6. Texas Niro EV

Texas Niro EV Active Member

After multiple fast charges on long trips with the battery quite warm I still get significant range reduction in cold weather. I think the range reduction in cold weather has a lot more to do with the density of the cold air than with the temperature of the battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

SThomas219 likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Also cabin heating, especially with a resistive heater.

9. RLXXI

RLXXI Active Member

That's another item Ford hasn't discussed, climate control. Will they use traditional fluid circulation or some type of TED?

10. RLXXI

RLXXI Active Member

When I put a Li-ion battery in my motorcycle back in 2012 the instructions read, *If when cold and cranking is slow, turn on the headlight to warm up the battery* Apparently once the electrons start flowing it heats up the battery and will give full output and it does as one cold morning I tried cranking the bike and it was real slow. Turned the headlight on and by the time I pushed it out of the garage and put my helmet on, it spun over normal.

I believe the other poster about it being more to do with the denser air and having to push thru it.

11. Suzanne Roth

Suzanne Roth Member

60 Minutes did a segment on the truck on May 16th, with President Biden driving the truck (after the truck pulled a train!). I knew nothing about F-150ā€™s. Was very impressed. Quite a plug for Ford.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Roy2001

Roy2001 Member

400 miles range is not possible in real world.

14. RLXXI

RLXXI Active Member

Opinion or fact? If the latter, please state your source for information.

15. Texas Niro EV

Texas Niro EV Active Member

What!?! Speaking as someone that personally driven a 2013 Ford Focus Electric, that was originally rated at 76 miles and already had over 10% battery degradation, 102 miles; 400 miles in the F150 Lightning with the extended range battery should definitely be possible in the real world. Iā€™m not a big fan of hypermiling but, with hands free driving and a truck that controls the speed based on speed limit signs, I can see myself busting through the rated range as I kick back and enjoy the scenery.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

16. app's321

app's321 Member

The Math proven by charging data shows the extended battery truck range at maybe less than 4 hours driving at Internet speeds. Thats with a usage of 37 kwh per hour maintaining. That mostly corelates to an Electric 50 HP motor to maintain the speed.

My home has a near 50 KWH daily average over the past 5 years.

17. RLXXI

RLXXI Active Member

If I could drive at my internet speed, I could go around the world in 350 milliseconds. :D

app's321 likes this.
  18. app's321

app's321 Member

Here if not doing 78 MPH I'm gonna get run over by the traffic jam behind me ! :D

19. app's321

app's321 Member

The simple math of 6500# of F150 truck traveling a constant speed of 75 mph x4 hours = KWH 37kwh x4= 148 kwh. while the battery is capable of maybe 165 KWH on paper there are real world problems like stop and go traffic, slow down on the expressway and of course the Boulevard search of the Fast Charge station and the hours waiting to get in to plug in cause you know you got a 100 people wanting a charge in the Burb & your lucky if you got a fast charger in your burb. Maybe 10 years away on that cluster fx ! Rural areas are gonna see a lot of flatbeds with flashing lights !

The Electric Pickup is a Cluster Burb garage queen and 100 mile commuter ! Pulling a fishing boat or camper confines it to the County you live in. Your gonna be an old man before Rapid chargers become like Mini Marts that people actually need while its charging, you know, hair fixed, shave, read a book, have lunch or Coffee and watch the news, walk a lot with the dog, that sort of thing. The Rapid Charger mart will need all that and be the size of a nice park for all the stuff needed to be done by the dissatisfied customers + the parking is going to be a nightmare like Wal-Marts. You are going to drive in, the ticket will be printed, you will pay with your phone and the ticket will say when and where your charger # is & you can plug in in 4 or 5 hours. If you think bitching about the Covid Vaccine or The Donald, well you ain't seen nothing yet ! Were talking action people screaming we ain't gonna take it anymore !

Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
  20. NRH

NRH Active Member

That's a pretty dim view of electrics. Is that based on any personal experience?

While I do have my own concerns about how quickly the super-charging network gets built out in this next phase of EV proliferation, our EV experience so far (2 years, 35,000 miles, about 20 long-distance trips over 500 miles) has been nothing like the picture you paint. First, fast-chargers where you live are completely irrelevant, as you'll charge at home (while you sleep) for nearly all of your driving. The only time that fast-chargers are necessary is when you're making a trip that is longer than your range. Between rural Downeast Maine and rural upstate NY, fast-charge stations are plentiful (arranged about every 50 miles). Every month or so, this 600 mile route sees another station added.

It's true that road-trip charging requires some patience, and we do get sick of visiting Walmarts, (where many of the EA stations are located). It takes about 30 minutes to go from 20% to 80% in our Kona, so about every 2-3 hours, we take a break. The vehicles coming out in 2022 will cut those charge times in half - basically matching the 20 minute stops I make in a gas vehicle, to refuel and pee.

I'm very eager to replace my Tundra with the F-150 Lightning. 300 mile range will do everything I need, even for getting deep into the woods of northern Maine.

21. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

There will be some issues during holidays, but you are over selling it! From what I've seen so far, keeping them repaired and in working order will be the main issue.

Remember, almost every house has a 120/240 volt receptacle, and there are portable chargers now available. So a caravan of flatbed trucks isn't going to be necessary.

In addition, the federal money for charging infrastructure improvements is biased toward rural and low income. Again, keeping them repaired and available will important.

As far as the utility of a truck, of the three trucks located along my street, I have never seen any of them pull something. Two of them, it seems, haven't pulled anything at all during their ownership. So at least two out of the three can be garbage haulers, and an electric truck makes some sense.

22. app's321

app's321 Member

The fact of an EV is it takes very little maintenance. Its all about finding the power to charge it. Most likely most buying into this headache do not realize all the taxes the future has to bring, cause nothing is easier to keep track of then KWH. For me its mostly a huge loss of freedom because of range and time at non existent charging Mini Mart Parks. So its a no go for me for the next 15-30 years. If i was a Burb dude with a 30 mile out an back daily schedule I could accept the future taxes for this crap. But fact is unless Thorium Nuke power plants happen the rest is stupid dreams and thas 30 years away ! U can trust me on the Nuke generation stuff too !
    These EV cars have 1200 lb batteries, the F150 1800 lb batteries !
    by the way there is no way I want to be on an ice covered interstate driving a + 7000 lb EV F150 more like 7500 lbs. if i haul stuff ! ā†“ā†“

Yep ther is an equation for Mass x speed =K energy (forget stopping it) 4 lil tires can't stop 7500 lbs traveling 75 MPH worth a crap. Maybe 96 sq. inches of rubber touching blacktop ? Lol

Last edited: Dec 18, 2021
  23. app's321

app's321 Member

The part of this That's ; (Theory is) = to___ # of EV's + charger's = miles driven, Divided by Charger hours needed___ divided by millions of EV's ! It don't really matter there is a huge the lack of home chargers in Rental/Condo units that are gonna happen & U immediately see the real problem & you Joe IQ Public am so screwed ! Enjoy calling UBEr !