Fisker Ocean - Opinions?

Discussion in 'General' started by FloridaSun, Jan 7, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

Watched the reveal of the Fisker Ocean.. Looks good to me but no real details on the battery released.. There is a guess of about 80 kwh and 250 to 300 mile of range but I have not seen anything official. The price seems very good but again, there was no detail provided on what battery and range the $37500 version of the car would come with. Does anyone have more information on that car? Opinions on it?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. DaleL

DaleL Active Member

"Fisker started Fisker Inc. in 2016, three years after his first company — Fisker Automotive — went bankrupt, thanks to the failure of his hybrid sports car known as Karma." https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/5/21050802/fisker-ocean-electric-suv-solar-roof-range-price-ces-2020

At best it will not be available for two years (end of 2021 or early 2022). Since Tesla is well established and other big automotive companies are moving in the direction of EVs, the Fisker Ocean would have to be really great in order for Fisker to succeed this time. Tesla has had great difficulty in making a sub $40,000 EV; I really doubt that Fisker can succeed in producing the Ocean for $37,500.

On a side note, Tesla's 4th quarter sales were quite good. Hopefully, Tesla had a second profitable quarter in a row. Still Tesla lost $702 million in the 1st quarter of 2019; followed by a loss of $408 million in the 2nd quarter. The 3rd quarter 2019 profit was $143 million. Tesla would need a 4th quarter profit close to one billion dollars to have had a profitable 2019. That is not likely, thus Tesla has never had a profitable year. However, if the trend in profitable quarters continues, Tesla should hit profitability in 2020.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  4. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

The Fisker Karma got a reputation for poor engineering. There were various significant problems with the car, both electrical/ electronic and mechanical.

I certainly wouldn't plan to buy any car from this company until at least a year after they start sales of a given model. I suggest you wait to see some long-term driving reports before you decide to risk money on a fledgling auto maker whose first venture failed. Unless, of course, you're so rich that you can shrug off such a loss. (That's not meant to be sarcastic; there are people that rich.)

DaleL and bwilson4web like this.