Evse that will stand up to coastal conditions

Discussion in 'General' started by Devin West, Jul 4, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Devin West

Devin West New Member

Hi all,

New to the forum here. Looking for recommendations on an EVSE That will withstand coastal conditions. I live about 2 blocks from the water at the mouth of the Chesapeake bay, we get driving rain fairly regularly. I have a Ford CMax and have been using a primecom 16 amp charger. It is outside but not in direct rain and mounted off the ground. In nine months I’ve had my second one fail due to water intrusion. Both at the nozzle and the box. No garage so outside is the only choice. I chose primecom because the outlet is about 35 feet from where I park and they offer a longer cord. Thinking maybe a standard length charger this time with a 14-50 extension cord this time to make up the length difference….

Thanks All

ericy and bwilson4web like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Do you have any photos of the failures or was there no external damage?

Bob Wilson

4. Devin West

Devin West New Member

No external damage. The first 2 times the contactors inside the box were chattering and the car wouldn’t charge the second time drying it out fixed it temporarily. The last time it was just tripping the GFCI. Primecom told me that they found water inside the nozzle. They said it was abuse and that they would fix it one last time as a courtesy. Still haven’t gotten it back from repairs.

bwilson4web likes this.
  5. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I chose the Grizzl-E in large part because of the engineering, based on the InsideEV Grizzl-E review. I got it for cold weather reasons, and one can appreciate the quality design:

upload_2021-7-5_12-10-28.png

Devin West likes this.
  6. Devin West

Devin West New Member

Thanks for the input. I bought a Grizzl-e charger and put in an underground circuit to the island by the driveway to eliminate the extension cord. So far really happy with it

Attached Files:

7. To remove this ad click here.