EVs have are truly arriving in the mainstream

Discussion in 'General' started by David T in Silicon Valley, Jun 11, 2021 at 10:49 AM.

To remove this ad click here.

1. To remove this ad click here.

2. marshall

marshall Active Member

They are still way too expensive to be called main stream. On top of that, there is the cost of installing a circuit and EVSE, often costing over a thousand dollars and the lack of low cost charging at work.

EVs have a long ways before they become main stream in the USA unless the government mandates them.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021 at 12:10 PM
    turtleturtle likes this.
  3. I think the key point is work place charging. Give companies a full (???) tax deduction for installing Lvl2 chargers and all of a sudden you will see them pop up everywhere.

Heck we live in corporate America. Anything that makes a company deduct anything from taxes works.

4. Not at all. There are a lot of more expensive mainstream cars, SUVs, and trucks (i.e. not counting luxury). Yes, the gas version of the same car can be had for less, but to say they're too expensive to be mainstream is silly.

5. turtleturtle

turtleturtle Active Member

I’ve forwarded rebates to my employer. There is cost, yes, but for them it was just who has time to go out and do the installs. People are just too busy to put this on their plate. It might have to be a mandate instead of an incentive.

marshall likes this.
  6. To remove this ad click here.

7. A $42K car or SUV that's well equipped and will save you money on maintenance and fuel is indeed mainstream, but in the upper half of mainstream. To truly take over the market, EV prices will need to come down under $30K, and that's still probably a while off.

miatadan likes this.
  8. marshall

marshall Active Member

I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

9. ENirogus

ENirogus Member

4WD pickups are too expensive to be mainstream
    German Sedans are too expensive to be mainstream
    Ford Expeditions are too expensive to be mainstream

Yet there they are driving around the streets

bwilson4web likes this.