EV sales numbers

Discussion in 'General' started by Domenick, Oct 2, 2017.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Tesla's latest sales report (10/02/17) is a mixed bag. Good, in that sales for the Model S and X were the best ever (25,930!). Bad, in that Model 3 production had some hiccups and only saw 220 deliveries instead of the 1,500 -plus that Musk had targeted.

4. Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  5. Jay Cole

Jay Cole New Member

Yeah, strong month at over 21,000 sales...only December 2016 was higher (just under 25k). I tend to like watching the more obscure parts, so seeing the BMW 530e keep gaining momentum, and passing 500 cars sold in September I think is significant. Overall, BMW looks like it will displace Ford in the #3 slot for plug-in hybrid makers in 2018. Don't see Ford being able to hold off the 530e, 330e, 740e, i3 REx, i8, Countryman PHV, etc...unless they can get the Escape/Focus PHV out earlier than anticipated

Domenick likes this.
  6. To remove this ad click here.

7. Mikael

Mikael New Member

For anyone looking for EV sales numbers the EV sales blog at ev-sales.blogspot.com is the mother-load.

8. Looks like he gets all his numbers from us, though. :)
    Plus, besides our monthly sales charts updates, we have a number of posts on regional sales.

For instance, (and thanks for the excuse to link this story in, because it's a great one):
    Norway Nears 50% EV Market Share In September, Tesla Nets 2,000 Deliveries

[​IMG]

9. Benz

Benz Member

The Chevrolet Bolt EV total sales figures in the US in 2017 will be more than 20,000.

And in 2018 it will be even more than that. But will it be able to cross the 30,000 line?

10. Josh Bryant

Josh Bryant Member

Bolt should have no problem hitting 30k per year next year. They just got to nationwide availability and there will be lots of EV hype around Model 3 ramp-up to bring fresh buyers into the mix. The original LEAF and Volt sales really took off after Model S won MTCOY. Tesla drew the crowd, price moved buyers over to the other options.

The real stunning 2017 sales fact for me: Model S sold more units in September than i3 has sold the entire year. BMW has to be clinching their teeth over that right now.

i3 had to be an expensive vehicle to bring to production. Hopefully its tech (carbon and drivetrain) grow into more BMW’s more conventional product offerings.

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. Benz

Benz Member

In January 2018 Nissan will start deliveries of the new Nissan Leaf in the US.

Will that have any impact on the Chevrolet Bolt EV sales in the US in 2018?

13. 30kWh_Leaf

30kWh_Leaf New Member

Depends if the colonials will accept 150ish miles of range at a lower price point. I've got a 30kWh Leaf on lease until June 2019, then I'll likely buy the 60kWh version to be announced next year. I WANT 200 miles of range to cope with the three longer journies I regularly make. I tend to get bladder anxiety after about 120 - 140 miles at 70mph so one charge for our 280 mile trip would be fine for me. With the current Leaf at 60-65 mph I had to stop three times on the return leg due to Electric Highway locations.

Domenick likes this.
  14. Benz

Benz Member

The answer to my previous question is more likely to be:

"Yes, the 2018 Nissan Leave will have an impact on the Chevrolet Bolt EV sales in the US in 2018."

Why?

For many people in the US a range of 150 miles per day is more than enough. So the 2018 Nissan Leaf will provide just what they need. And it's cheaper than the Chevrolet Bolt EV.

People who don't mind the higher price will likely prefer the Chevrolet Bolt EV (because of the higher range).

15. 30kWh_Leaf

30kWh_Leaf New Member

OTOH, many people will still insist on getting over that 200 miles per charge barrier before buying. I suspect (hope) that Nissan did some market before making the decision to go with the 40kWh battery.

16. Benz

Benz Member

There will be many people who will prefer an EV with a 40 kWh battery pack, and there will also be many people who will prefer an EV with a 60 kWh battery pack.

17. 30kWh_Leaf

30kWh_Leaf New Member

I fully understand that, but, which will gain the largest market share?

18. Benz

Benz Member

At least in 2018 there will be more demand for an EV with the 40 kWh battery pack (compared to an EV with a 60 kWh battery pack), simply because of the difference in price.

Meaning that in the US in 2018 there will be more demand for the Nissan Leaf with the 40 kWh battery pack, than for the Chevrolet Bolt EV (with a 60 kWh battery pack).

19. 30kWh_Leaf

30kWh_Leaf New Member

I would have thought the 40kWh Leaf would go better in Europe because most people don't drive as far on individual journies. My understanding is that some people in as for instance, Alabama, will only buy an EV if they can easily drive to California in it, and at present that's a rather expensive Tesla.

I sit to be corrected. :)

20. Benz

Benz Member

The Nissan Leaf will do great in Europe in 2018. That's for sure.

But the focus in this thread is on the US.

Yes, people who want an EV with a 60 kWh battery pack, will not buy the Nissan Leaf with the 40 kWh battery pack. Simply because it will not fit their needs.

But many people in the US in 2018 will buy the Nissan Leaf with the 40 kWh battery pack, simply because it does fit their needs.

I expect Nissan Leaf sales in the US in 2018 to be higher than 40,000.

But it seems difficult to see Chevrolet Bolt EV sales in the US in 2018 to be higher than 40,000.

21. 30kWh_Leaf

30kWh_Leaf New Member

I just don't think they "get it." Over here Nissan ploughed money into Ecotricity and the Electric Highway which means I can drive my Leaf all over the country on motorways as there are regular charge points to use. Tesla understood the need for charging infrastructure to be in place where other manufacturers, in the USA at least, still do not.

22. Benz

Benz Member

Yes, the charging infrastructure is very important. And this will improve every year.

But will GM also invest/spend money in the near future to improve the charging infrastructure in order to sell more EV's?