Electronic Parking Brake Recall ?

Discussion in 'Kia Soul EV' started by Ed Zwieback, Jul 18, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I see the following:
    On 2015 and 2016 Kia Soul EV models, the parking mechanism can become damaged by moving the gear lever into Park before the vehicle has come to a complete stop. That could lead to a situation in which, as Kia describes in recall documents, “unintended vehicle movement may occur when the gear shift lever is in the Park ‘P’ position and the parking brake is not applied.”
    I do not see this info on the KIA website anywhere, especially for my 2015 Soul EV.
    What are the facts ?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. From the NHTSA website:

Unintended Movement Due to Damaged Park Mechanism
    Unintended vehicle movement can increase the risk of a crash.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 20V389000

Manufacturer Kia Motors America

Components POWER TRAIN, ELECTRICAL SYSTEM

Potential Number of Units Affected 3,714

Summary

Kia Motors America (Kia) is recalling certain 2015-2016 Kia Soul Electric Vehicle (EV) vehicles. The parking mechanism may become damaged if the driver moves the gear shift lever into Park 'P' before the vehicle comes to a complete stop. If the parking mechanism is damaged, unintended vehicle movement may occur when the gear shift lever is in the Park 'P' position and the parking brake is not applied.

Remedy

Kia will notify owners, and dealers will update the electronic control unit software, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin August 7, 2020. Owners may contact Kia customer service at 1-800-333-4542. Kia's number for this recall is SC191.

4. I did get a Recall (NHTSA Recall no. 20V389) for 2015-16 Soul EVs; from KIA-America, dated 7 Aug 2020. "KIA will update the ECU software for the EPB Logic".

"This then will automatically activate the EPB when the Power button is turned off AND the shift lever is in the P position".

I wonder if anyone has had this done per the Recall notice, and I welcome any comments about the recall work experience.
    I hope it's a minor job and the dealers performed the work without problem.
    Ed

5. acaisoul

acaisoul New Member

I had mine done. Within days I had the 12V battery fail and my OBC fail. Probably a coincidence ?? I noticed that as part of the warranty work, they also did 2 more firmware updates. I find that interesting.

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. acaisoul; that's a real bummer.
    I had the recall done on 16-Sep at Kia-Cerritos on my '15 Soul-EV and it was done without problems. BTW, I still have the original 12V batt. and Volta monitor shows its still OK.