Drivers door window

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by StickWare, Aug 27, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. StickWare

StickWare Active Member

I have no idea how this happened. I went to exit car and somehow my seat belt buckle got caught and cracked my window.
    Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. A new window.

Then, guide the seat belt carefully to its stowed position prior to exiting the vehicle. Alternatively, roll the window down or open the door prior to unbuckling the seat belt.

Those are my suggestions.

JFon101231 likes this.
  4. StickWare

StickWare Active Member

I’m not sitting trapped in car. I got out. But window broke. Yes. I need a new window

5. None of the previous suggestions were intended to assist you in escaping from a vehicle in which you were trapped. That would be a completely different predicament.

They were intended to guide you toward repairing the damage and prevent the damage from occurring again.

You asked for suggestions and since I haven’t pistol whipped my window into submission, it seemed appropriate to offer a few tips so that you might avoid this situation in the future.

6. I'm curious know what other suggestions you were expecting.
    A salvage yard could probably provide a used window.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. JFon101231

JFon101231 Active Member

Sometimes the questions that get verbalized here make me wonder...

9. There are some doozies on the RV forums as well.

A common theme goes like this: My truck can tow 8,000lbs, I’m thinking about getting a 10,000lb trailer. Will I be ok or do I need a new truck?

Remarkably, the answers are either:
    I’ve been doing it for five years without a problem, you’ll be fine.
    If you have the skills and know what you’re doing you should be good.
    Or, you need a heavy duty truck that can tow 80,000lbs.

Very few suggest a truck that is rated to tow at least 10,000lbs, preferably a truck that is rated to tow 12K-15K so it isn’t on the rivet the entire time.

DaleL likes this.
  10. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

On a lighter note - @StickWare
    How many miles do you have on your Clarity?
    I know you went beyond 100K some time ago, and are probably leading all of us in demonstrated longevity.

11. StickWare

StickWare Active Member

Why was this such a dumb post ???

I’ve exited cars thousands of times. This was some weird fluke.
    No salvage yards have this.
    $529 from Safelife. Appointment next Friday.

window is stable. Cracks inside. Can’t feel from either side.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

When you first told us about your misfortune, I thought that you had probably exited your Clarity more times than all the rest of us combined. So although the probability of this mishap is low, the numbers caught up with you.

Does Safelite have the OEM acoustic glass that the Clarity uses for the front side windows? I would be surprised if they had come up with their own replacement glass because there haven't been enough Claritys produced to make it cost-effective to make their own glass.

StickWare likes this.
  14. StickWare

StickWare Active Member

15. ab13

ab13 Active Member

Couldn't tell if it was the metal or the hard part of the buckle that hit the window, but you can look into those seat belt silicon covers. They would reduce impact against the hard part.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/jjcAAOSwP8NfGGc~/s-l1600.jpg

That seems like a good price on the window, since laminated windows are more expensive.

16. StickWare

StickWare Active Member

Update: This has been a nightmare.

I used the eBay link provided to buy a window and a shop charged me $101 to install it.

after they installed it though, it did not go smoothly up or down.

They compared with original window and said the clips were about 1/8 in off.

I sent it back and they said the distributor acknowledged the error.

I found another online store but after I ordered it, and told them what happened, they said it’s the same distributor and they said it would have same problem.

dealer wanted $480 for glass and $150 to install.

I just went to Safelight today. $512.

they said it’s the same tempered window.

so at least it’s fixed now.

17. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

I'm sorry the ebay route caused so much trouble.