DIY wheels swap

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Ohliuw, Oct 16, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Ohliuw

Ohliuw Active Member

Any considerations when changing wheels for winters? If I t’jack 1 wheel at a time at the jack points indicated in the manual, where would I put the jack stand, etc...

I have a 2.5ton low profile jack that I use on my other cars. Will it be ok for the Clarity?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Clarity_Newbie

Clarity_Newbie Active Member

Attached is a .pdf that should help.

Good luck!

Attached Files:

4. Ohliuw

Ohliuw Active Member

So, the recommendation is to lift the back/front and use 2 jack stands at the support? I don’t think most jack stands have those pads to prevent damage?

5. Clarity_Newbie

Clarity_Newbie Active Member

Ohliuw

Link to another thread which expounds on tire rotations.

https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/proposed-tire-rotation-scheme.6740/

My take on it?

The Clarity is 4000 lbs. Conventional wisdom says to use jack stands or something similar instead of relying on the floor jack. I personally rotate back to front and vice versa...then next tire rotation do right to left/left to right.

When lifting from the sides...I use a 3 ton hydraulic floor jack and support the car with an appropriate device after working height is achieved. I use a homemade system which lifts both front n rear tires off the ground (one side at a time obviously) and then support jack points appropriately for safety.

When doing the left to right rotation...use center jack points...and support both front jack points/rear after working height is achieved.

Simple enough. Safety requires some sort of supporting mechanism to ensure car will not drop should floor jack fail. I prefer the system I use over store bought jacks but there is nothing wrong with them. Like most things...there are several ways to accomplish the same mission...none better than others as long as the method is safe and doesn't cause damage to the car and it works for you.

Is it worth it? Each his/her own. I do it so I know its done correctly...period. Anytime a mechanic says the bolts are stripped on the rotors...that is due to repetitive over tightening and/or cross threaded one too many times.

Hope this helps.

6. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

OP is proposing doing one wheel at a time? And not going under? If yes I’d just use the jack on a jack point and change the wheel. Then move to next corner and repeat.

Jack stands prevent car falling on head and killing you. It’s equally effective to not get crushed if you simply don’t go under the car...which I assume you’re not gonna do.

Sounds like you have a good jack that can easily and safely support the car. I say for this purpose just use your floor jack at the jack points, and skip the jack stands entirely.

insightman and jorgie393 like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Ohliuw

Ohliuw Active Member

Yes, I am swapping different sets of wheels not rotating. So doing it one by one should be ok? I can still put jack stand just in case I guess... just not sure where ...

On more thing, my jack has a round cup attachment - it’s this one:
    9450B9CA-9E69-4029-96E9-27EF92F40499.jpeg

and I don’t want to damage the undercarriage in any way (Lots of salt on the road = easy rust), so which rubber attachment should I buy?

9. graure

graure Member

Just to chime in, that front center jack point is WAY back. I was excited to learn about it from the tire rotation thread, but when it came time to use it, my jack actually couldn't get back that far and still lift. Just look at the diagram, it's slightly behind the front axle, which is a good distance from the front lip. I'd just use the side points. If you're worried about jacking up (ha ha see what I did there) the pinch welds, you can buy a hockey puck and just cut a trench down the middle of it to use as an adapter for your floor jack.

10. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

Yes the floor jack in the pic will work on the pinch welds. I do nothing to protect mine but i suppose if you’re worried about scratching the paint there you could just put anything on the round pad. Wood scrap, something plastic out of your recycle bin, an old towel..

11. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

I bought these el-cheapo from China at $2.89 with free shipping and no tax. Just have to wait awhile to get them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DIY-Car-SUV-Slotted-Frame-Cradle-Rail-Hydraulic-Floor-Jack-Disk-Rubber-Stand-Pad/253823309595?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item3b190c571b:g:XKMAAOSwftZbej0v

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. The center rear jack point makes nervous if it's what I think it is. It looks like a curved bar for support.

14. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

15. KentuckyKen

True, buts it’s 3x the price.

That’s the rear tie down point and it’s very strong. I’ve jacked on it with no problem but some paint loss.

16. Ohliuw

Ohliuw Active Member

Too late for the bicycle delivery from China, will be swapping shoes in the next couple of weeks. planing to go the puck route how wide should I cut the trench?

17. If I understand the eBay advertisement that is for one pad. The Amazon is for two. $6 vs $11 and if I have problem with the product I ask for a return, take the item and my phone with the return code to Kohl's, and they ship it for me.

And I'll have it tomorrow instead of a couple of weeks.

Worth the higher price for me.

Thanks for the info on that rear jacking point. It bothers me that the whole car rests on what looks like a narrow (compared to the other points) , round object.

18. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Couple of weeks? Ebay guarantees delivery of my Chinese rubber puck by December 24th! I hope my cold fingers can properly locate that puck on the jack and that it doesn't fall off and roll under the car, making me wish I had a second one so I wouldn't have to crawl through the snow under the car before I can mount my wheels with the snow tires.

19. KentuckyKen

Mine came in less than 3 weeks. Works like a charm and may not be 100% necessary as someone mentioned the pinch weld seam is strong enough to take it without being crushed. But I like being careful with my “baby” and not knocking off the paint, so for two bucks and some change it’s worth it to me.

insightman likes this.