Couldnt take the wheel cover anymore. Black matte wrap. Bam!

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by ClariPete, Jan 23, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ClariPete

ClariPete New Member

465709A6-330C-4346-AD41-B986E51E2251.jpeg Its not perfect but it’s good enough.

JFon101231, Mark W, Gearhead and 4 others like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. neal adkins

neal adkins Active Member

• Looks good. Please post your highway mpg change for hv and ev

4. JulianClarity

JulianClarity Active Member

It causes .000001 mpg loss due to the excessive weight of the films.

ClarityDoc and ClariPete like this.
  5. Mark W

Mark W Active Member

CT
    Looks great. Big improvement. How does it look in person vs. pictures?

6. ClarityDoc

ClarityDoc Active Member

Meh. Like a comb-over, IMHO.

amy2421 and lorem101 like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Rav

Rav Member

looks great! am i seeing a discrepancy near the door? what was the cost?

9. neal adkins

I should have cleaned my glasses....i saw the pic and didn't notice the film. I had a similar idea before when others voiced concern. But the wheel covers don't bother me. Great idea though.

10. JulianClarity

JulianClarity Active Member

Lol, I don't know why you guys care about it so much, it is just a little bit unusual looking, it does not bother me a bit at all. I don't mind complaining about it if I could get $100 off for this 'Heart breakingly ugly' design though, :D

jdonalds likes this.
  11. Geor99

Geor99 Active Member

I truly hate the wheel cover. I cringe a little inside every time that I look at it;)

I bought mine in black as it hides this far better than the other colors. Unfortunately, the black is absolutely impossible to keep clean.

It gets dirty almost immediately after a wash in sharp contrast to my grey Accord which looks far cleaner even though I wash it far less:)

I'm just learning to deal with the wheel cover. The car would really look incredible without it, and yes I realize that it helps a lot with aerodynamics.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Olimpia

Olimpia Member

Love my new clarity but yes, that wheel cover is probably my least favorite thing in the car. Thankfully I got the dark gray/gunmetal color so it's not as obvious but your fix for the white model is great!
    It's a shame that a lot of people are not even interested in the Clarity just because of the wheel cover/wheel skirt; Honda should have made the cover as a removable piece.

Domenick, Mark W and Geor99 like this.
  14. Geor99

Geor99 Active Member

Yes, I have a friend who would buy one tomorrow save the wheel skirt. I'm surprised that it gets through automaker test groups.

There is definitely a deep seated human revulsion to this in many, of course not all, people. Some don't care at all, but an equal or greater number don't like the look in a strong way.

Of course in a Clarity forum, many don't care and a few may even like it. But most people will not like the look- in my experience.

Mark W likes this.
  15. Geor99

Geor99 Active Member

Ill make one more opinion:) If Tesla had these skirts on every car, it is a far, far less successful company. It would lose its entire cool factor- without a doubt in my mind.

Mark W likes this.
  16. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

Aesthetics aside, I'm willing to "guess" that not having the skirt would make no measurable difference in aerodynamics and therefore in range/mpg (and for sure not in city driving). I understand the car has a suite of aerodynamic features that collectively make a measurable difference in highway range/mpg, but something like the small skirt taken individually seems very unlikely to make a noticeable difference. I think it's primarily a design feature. If it was super important to aerodynamics we would see it on many models and manufacturers, and in fact, Honda would likely have put it on the new Insight. If someone gets brave enough someday to have a body shop remove it, I bet that car won't lose measurable range/mpg.

17. MPower

MPower Well-Known Member

Good grief, I did not even know what these things were and that my Clarity had them until I read about them on this forum. Then i had to google it to find out what every one was fulminating about. As my mother used to say "Pretty is as pretty does." I think the Clarity does quite well.

18. Geor99

Geor99 Active Member

That little piece of sheet metal may not seem like a big deal, but I've done a lot of wind tunnel testing in my earlier engineering days. You'd be surprised what a difference just a little change here and a little change there actually makes. I'd bet you that removing the wheel wells would take 3-5 miles off of a full charge in ev miles.

Yes, 3-5 miles. I'd bet big money it does over 2 miles on a full charge. That's 5%, which is enormous for a designer. And yes, others get away without it, like the Volt.

But it is a completely different size and shape. Trust me, it matters:)

Pegsie, M.M. and Domenick like this.
  19. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

Yeah and had an optional full cover lol.

20. Sibilance

Sibilance New Member

Looks pretty decent. You could take a look around and see if an auto paint shop will just paint them black for you. Might look a little cleaner.

21. neal adkins

The rear wheel covers are starting to become one of my favorite features as long as they irritate a few folks.....probably all tesla owers that went for fried ice cream. Hahaha

capt3450 likes this.
  22. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

That's amazing! I had no idea. If that's the case, we'll see these catching on for sure. Any manufacturer would be ecstatic about something that effectively increased mpg by 5% on the highway. Why don't we see these on most cars? Is there something unique about the Clarity aerodynamics that requires it?

I still contend that "little piece of sheet metal" is irrelevant for my local dog-walking trips.

23. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Imagine the anguish at the Clarity engineers' meeting when the aerodynamics contingent reported, "We've done almost everything we could to match the EV range of the smaller, lighter Chevy Volt, but we're still 6 miles short." The fuel system engineers stomped out when the aero guys suggested a smaller gas tank would improve EV range by making room for a larger battery. Then one of the old engineers asked, "Did you try covering the entire rear wheels with spats like the gen-1 Insight? That worked for us back in '98." The aero guys replied, "We're not sure Geor99 will buy this thing with these small covers that got us so close to the Volt--he'd never go for the full spats. So we say screw it, that Volt isn't selling and GM will probably dump it soon. We'll skip the spats to keep Geor99 in the fold." See, it could have been worse.

[Note: The wheel cover graced the Clarity Fuel Cell car long before Honda was worrying about competing with the EV range of the Chevy Volt.]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019