Clarity Post Crash Repairs

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Ralph, Jul 26, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Ralph

Ralph New Member

hi i recently bought a 2018 Clarity Touring that was in a collision and has rear damage at a auction when you put key in and turn car on it will only let you put the car in neutral and park and has a bunch of warnings on the dash. i know that there is a emergency shutdown that the clarity may do during a crash and it looks like that is the case here .. i am not new to auto repairs as i work in a body shop but we hardly ever work on clarity's. is there a switch that will reset it like many cars have? or is it like a Chevy Volt where it is a hard code in the hybrid unit that only the dealer can reset? i also know some cars have a pyrofuse that can also stop the car from starting again after a accident. any info would be helpful no airbags were blown in the accident if that helps...

thanks in advance, Ralph

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

It is possible that the only problem is a discharged 12V battery. Charge the 12V battery first, then see if the car will 'start'. You will still have a bunch of warnings, but they will disappear shortly when you start driving.

Of course, the HV battery is in the rear, and if there is damage there beyond cosmetic, then all bets are off.

How bad is the damage? Do you have a photo?
    '

4. MrFixit

From the manual...
    upload_2020-7-26_9-55-46.png
    I would not just assume that this happened however, and would make sure the 12V battery is good as a first step.
    Maybe someone here has seen the service documentation that defines how to reset this system if it indeed triggered.

5. The HV battery is located under the front and rear seats, all forward of the rear axle.

MrFixit likes this.
  6. Ralph

Ralph New Member

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. MrFixit

looks like the listing is already gone from the auction site...

9. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

@Ralph, I am very interested to hear how this turns out. I am betting you will have to take it to the dealer to sort out the warnings/electrical. Have you checked the battery coolant to make sure no leaks due to the collision?

10. Ralph

Ralph New Member

yes the engine bay is perfect nothing was damaged .. i had a 2019 clarity that i bought new and got in a accident with it last year and totaled it .. no airbags blew but the same thing happened to that car .. would only go in neutral or park and warnings on the dash ... ill get it figured out but first i am going to do all the bodywork and get it fixed before towing it to the dealer .. all damage is in the back and its honestly not bad at all

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

Doubt there is any real damage. You're just gonna need dealer diagnostic hookup and procedures to reset the safety shut-off. Bet their tech can plug it in and be done in 1/2 hour, you'll just have to pay their minimum fee for hookup. No buttons or self-service reset that I am aware of.

13. Ralph

Ralph New Member

i got the car running and driving again i had a friends shop reprogram it and clear all hard codes its now back at the bodyshop and we will start prepping it to paint the bumper and trunk and it will be all done

craze1cars likes this.
  14. Robert_Alabama

Probably a stupid question, but why would the crash cause a shutdown requiring reprogram if air bags did not deploy and no electrical damage (just body)?

15. Ralph

Ralph New Member

apparently its a safety feature to prevent the batteries from catching fire after a accident by making you take it into the dealer after a accident .. this car was not hit terribly hard but it still triggered it

Robert_Alabama and insightman like this.
  16. DucRider

DucRider Well-Known Member

It is actually a safety feature to de-energize all the HV cables in the vehicle and has nothing to do with the batteries catching fire.

Robert_Alabama likes this.
  17. Robert_Alabama

@Ralph and @DucRider, thanks for the replies. I hadn't thought about the safety aspect that something might short out or HV wiring might be exposed after a wreck. This makes sense, although it makes wrecks more aggravating to deal with if this safety feature is activated.

18. bpratt

bpratt Active Member

Did your friend indicate how difficult it was and what was required to get the traction battery back into operation?