Clarity PHEV voltage

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Michiel, Jul 16, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Michiel

Michiel New Member

Hello.

What is the maximum battery voltage of the Clarity PHEV and what is the most convenient location to splice into the high voltage harness? I'm interested in using our Clarity as a backup power source (with an appropriate switching power supply).

Yes, I understand high amp high voltage means danger.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I believe you will be the first on this forum to tap into the Clarity's high-voltage circuit. Other forum members have connected an inverter to the 12-Volt battery and then left their car "on" so the HV battery and the DC-to-DC converter will maintain the charge in the 12-Volt battery.

You need to find a recycled Japanese Honda Clarity Plug-In Hybrid and have all the non-US power parts parts sent to you. The JDM Clarity PHEVs have a high-voltage bi-directional CCS socket on the front right fender. For something like $10K, you can then buy Honda's Power Exporter 9000 that plugs into that socket to take power out of the 17 kWh battery and run your home (assuming your home can run on the Japanese standard 100 Volts AC). Here's a photo of the Power Exporter 9000 plugged into a Clarity Fuel Cell.

upload_2021-7-17_1-13-47.png

4. Targeted charging voltage is 344VDC. Nominal voltage is 311VDC.

Honda has a subscription service that may be able to provide the other information you’ve requested.

I have a hunch that, if successful, what you’re proposing to do would void your vehicle and battery warranty.

Have you considered other options for a backup power supply?

sabasc and Michiel like this.
  5. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

Seems like a lot of work and a LOT of money. For $9K, I had a whole home Generac installed in my home that powers every circuit in the event of a power outage. Runs on natural gas. Plus, it comes on automatically... I don't have to be home to switch it over. I've had it a little over a year, and we've had over 100 hours of use during power outages.

JFon101231 likes this.
  6. Unless you are an expert at electric circuits, know how to properly isolate the HV battery, and have schematics; I would not attempt this. I cannot word that strongly enough. High voltages can jump to anything metal such as rings or bracelets and kill you. In the Navy if you worked on a 350V switchboard you had to demetalize, put down isolation mats, and have a buddy ready to knock you away in case of emergency.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sabasc and JFon101231 like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Yep. We’re having either a Cummins, Kohler or Generac propane unit installed this summer. Waiting for all the bids to come in. Something in the 20K range. The electricians actually have the Cummins and Generac in stock. We already have solar and batteries. The generator will run the heat pump or A/C and air handler as well as charge the batteries, so it won’t need to run 24/7. We also have a 3K propane/gasoline generator and 48V charger, so if additional charging is necessary, we can accomplish that with a smaller, more efficient generator.

If we didn’t already have batteries, I’d consider some salvaged EV modules in the 36-60V range to parallel together, with an appropriate inverter and charge controller, before I’d tap in to a 350V source and bastardize a perfectly good vehicle that is still under warranty. But I only have limited knowledge about such systems.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
  9. Michiel

Michiel New Member

Thank you, that's all fantastic information. I don't know why that Power Exporter has to be so expensive.

The idea was prompted by wanting to keep a travel trailer charged and connecting to the 12v circuit would perfectly take care of that.

I'll play around with the idea of tapping in to the high voltage.

10. Michiel

Michiel New Member

Just found the article on JSTOR by Tomoya Yamagishi and Takashi Ishikura. Interesting reading.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021