Claire pampers her engine.

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by ken wells, Mar 7, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ken wells

ken wells Member

Driving home from our favorite restaurant, 20 degrees F, 9 miles to home, 3 miles of EV range. I'm warming the car up for my wife so I started it in HV charge mode and idled in the parking lot. I noticed that there was no battery charging happening for about 3 minutes, and then the graphics showed electricity flow. The Clarity warmed up the engine before loading it because it could. Pretty smart, I'm impressed.

On another note, midway home the screen went fully black and the video took a long time to reboot. The car drove normally through the reboot (thank heavens), and even kept the selected modes (HV-charge and brake hold on) through the reboot. Service next week, is there a particular software update that the forum recognizes as fixing this problem?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

No update. You’re stuck with the obsolete and never to be updated tablet in the dash, for as long as you own the car. That’s the Honda way. Reboot it periodically.

4. Walt R

Walt R Active Member

Can you be specific on how to reboot the center display?

I'm hoping this is a feature I haven't found yet. I know there is a "reset to factory" option within the menus, but I don't want to spend 10s of minutes redoing all the interface customization I have done.

5. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

Hold down the power button on the display until it prompts to reboot/restart.

6. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

Yes just hold your finger on the power button for 5 or 10 seconds or whatever and look at the screen...it will become apparent on the screen from there. And no you don't need to reset anything else it will remember all your settings. It can be done while driving if you want...hurts nothing, just shuts off the radio for a minute or so.

Much like we all need to reboot our smartphones and computers periodically to exorcise accumulated gremlins, this tablet in Honda dashboards is no different.

4sallypat and MPower like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Walt R

Walt R Active Member

Just out of curiosity, was this written in any of the official documentation where I should have found it? Glad to know it is so simple, though. Maybe my Android Auto will start working again.

9. vicw

vicw Active Member

I had that happen a couple of times during my first full year of operation. It's annoying, but there were no real consequences during or after the events. The car continued to drive with no problems. I haven't reset anything. I figured it was a spontaneous reboot, like my older Android phones and Windows used to do. Not the most ideal, but not a serious problem.

4sallypat likes this.
  10. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

No, it's not where you should have expected to find it. You cannot find it even if you search the PDF version of the Owners Manual for "reset." The procedure is hidden on page 206 of the Owners Manual, under Audio System Theft Protection:

■ Reactivating the audio system
    1. Set the power mode to ON.
    2. Turn on the audio system.
    3. Select and hold the audio system power icon for more than two seconds.
    The audio system is reactivated when the audio control unit establishes a connection with the vehicle control unit. If the control unit fails to recognize the audio unit, you must go to an authorized Honda Clarity Plug-In Hybrid dealer and have the audio unit checked.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    Texas22Step and KentuckyKen like this.
  11. AlAl

AlAl Active Member

Perhaps they implemented it in a separate firmware, but there is a setting under the system menu to "refresh" or "reboot" infotainment screen at a specific time.
    My car came pre-configured to daily @ 2AM. Havent had any lockups yet

4sallypat, craze1cars and Texas22Step like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. 4sallypat

4sallypat Active Member

YES ^^^^, this is EXACTLY what happens on my Land Rover - display keeps shutting down and restarting - very annoying but I can live with it....

Not surprised with any car these days implementing an information / media / GPS display...

14. Atkinson

Atkinson Active Member

My display locked up twice, once after a reboot.
    Time to go to the dealer to run all updates and hope for the best.

15. ken wells

ken wells Member

In my case (I am OP), I was driving without audio, with just the map display on when the screen went blank. Since the driving function was unaffected, I continued to drive without doing a manual reboot. It took a few minutes, but the display did reboot itself and I never noticed any affect on the steering, accelerating, braking, etc. I am unhappy it went black, but very happy that it drove just fine through the entire reboot process.