Charging question?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by leop, Jan 31, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. leop

leop Active Member

It is now below freezing in my Indiana garage and I have noticed something I previously did not when I charge the Clarity with a Duosida 16 amp Level 2 charging cable plugged into 120 V outlet. I use a power meter (similar to a Kill-a-Watt but allowing more amperage). The power used for a charge seems to have increased with the colder weather (that is the power used per % of used SOC has increased). For example, a full charge starting with 45% SOC now takes more Kilowatt Hours. I expected the power used to increase with the colder temperatures but not as much as it seems it has recently.

I tried an experiment this morning and looked at the power used after the overnight charge but left the charging cable plugged in anther three or so hours (the drive to work was delayed this morning). When I came out to unplug the charging cable, the power usage had increased nearly two Kilowatt Hours. We do not use climate preconditioning and this a US model Clarity (10/2017 build date). All updates except 18-097 (the charging system related update) have been applied.

My question is does anyone know why the Clarity is using power after the charging stops (the Hondalink Android app notifies me when the charging stops)?

LeoP

2. To remove this ad click here.