Canada Trip - not EV related

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by FloridaSun, Feb 10, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

I know, this isn't really Kona or even EV related but I know that there are many people on here who live in Western Canada and I wonder if anyone here is closely familiar with Alberta.. I've been a few times to Western Canada (2 x Albera and 4 times British Columbia) and I'll be in Alberta (and potentially British Columbia) again late March.. I'll fly into Edmonton 3/20 and return 3/27.
    As I've been there, I have seen all the "well known" attractions like West Edmonton Mall, Jasper National Park (Medicine Lake, Maligne Lake) and then Highway 93 do Banff. Peyto Lake, Bow Lake and of course Lake Louise and Moraine Lake. I also usually visit Yoho National Park in BC.
    Are there any other areas of interest in that vicinity that are not all that well known but worth seeing?
    What weather can I expect in late March? I looked at last year's weather for that time of the year and it was around 0 - 10 C but I believe that this was above average and I may have to expect some snow, even late March.. I usually travel to Western Canada early October and I've never been there in March, so I don't know what to expect that time of the year.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Bring your ski's as it usually snows right up to and including the May long weekend.
    Kananaskis is beautiful but the golf courses will be closed. Waterton Lakes Provincial Park is also nice but a few miles south.
    Generally when I lived there (Calgary) and had time off, it was a beeline to B.C.

4. March can still be quite a cold month, dress warm as I suspect you will still have snow on the ground. We usually go on our "warm" vacation( Puerto Vallarta this year :) ) in March as your pretty much sick of winter by then and prospects of spring are still at least a month away.

5. FloridaSun

If I'll ski, I'll rent skis there.. I haven't been skiing since I moved to Florida in 1997.. I'll be travelling with wife and 2 kids (7 and 9) and neither of them know to ski.. I may be able to get away for a day to ski at Lake Louise..

6. FloridaSun

Hoping for snow on the ground but I also hope to have all the roads open.. I was born in Austria/Europe, so I grew up with snow and cold temps but after 23 years in Florida, I got used to the warm weather here. I will bring very warm clothes. Here in Florida, we are having beach weather right now.. 28C today...

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

When I lived in Edmonton I enjoyed jaunts to places that weren't necessarily scenic but were characteristic of the aspen parkland. Elk Island National Park is a day trip, and it contains a large population of ungulates; you are sure to see elk and bison. There is some lovely country along the valley of the Red Deer, and of course the badlands and dinosaur museum.

9. FloridaSun

Sounds interesting.. The kids love animals..

10. Perfect place to try it out. I spent 2 years there doing electrical work, ski winter - fish and hike summer (and get chased by the odd grizzly - but that's a different story):eek:

11. FloridaSun

I know that there are plenty of Grizzly Bears in that area. I hope that I'll never cross paths with one of them.. :eek:.
    We do have plenty of Black Bears here in Florida but they aren't quite as dangerous as Grizzly bears...

12. To remove this ad click here.