Borrow Tesla Tap Adapter

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by CanuckTom, Jan 26, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. CanuckTom

CanuckTom Member

Hi all,

I know it's a bit of an interesting question, but I'm live in Toronto and am planning a trip out of town for March Break with my family. We're staying at a hotel that has charging but 3 of 4 charging spots are Tesla destination chargers. I have considered buying a Tesla Tap, but thought I would ask the community if there's anyone in the Greater Toronto Area that has one that might be willing to let me borrow/rent it from them? As much as I see it as a useful tool when driving a non Tesla EV we rarely go anywhere that it would be useful, but in this situation headed into the US there are a LOT more Tesla Destination chargers generally than J1772's.

Anyways, just thought I'd give it a try. Thanks all.

Tom

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

You could ask the hotel whether they have an adapter.

4. Gsbrryprk8

Gsbrryprk8 Member

I’ve too have considered buying a Teslatap. I haven’t done so yet because it’s not clear that it would add much to my charging options here in the eastern US.

Bear in mind that the Teslatap only works on destination chargers, not superchargers. I’ve played around on PlugShare by toggling the Tesla option. In most locations it may add a few, but J1772 are far more common around here so it’s not a significant difference.

Of course, much depends on your particular destination, so I hope you find what you need. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

5. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

And also, many or most Tesla Destination Chargers also have one Clipper Creek charger with J1772 plug, so no adapter would be needed for cars so equipped.

Below: A Tesla destination charging station, with Tesla charger on the left and a Clipper Creek charger on the right.

[​IMG]

6. Professional installation, very nice- only thing missing is the "EV Parking only while charging sign" which could have been installed on the sub panel front cover.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. NRH

NRH Active Member

Agreed, it's a nice tidy installation. Too bad it's not code! That's sch 40 coming up out of the ground in a parking lot, with no protection. Doh!

KiwiME likes this.
  9. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've noted that in previous discussions of Tesla Destination Chargers. They really need signage to clearly indicate that (a) the Destination Charger belongs to the property owner, not to Tesla, and that (b) the chargers are there for the convenience of the customers of the business (and not there just for Tesla car owners!)

I can understand why Tesla doesn't put up signage, because the rules for who can or can't use Destination Chargers are up to the property owner. But what generally happens, as in this case, is the installation being done with no signage, which unfortunately leads to arguments between drivers (and between EV owners on forums such as this one) over who can or can't charge there, and who does or doesn't have "priority". Tesla really ought to point out to the property owner that they need clear signage indicating who can or can't use the chargers.

10. I assume a bollard or 2 in front out of sight of the picture to cover that.