Bolt buyback

Discussion in 'Bolt EV' started by Claire Green, Apr 25, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Claire Green

Claire Green Member

Has anyone called the chevy concierge and inquired about the Bolt buyback program. Please share your experience here to help other forum members. Check the last few posts in the thread 2017 to 2019 Bolt EV recall started by Domenick to learn more about the buyback program currently going on.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. hclarity808

hclarity808 New Member

I called Concierge April 24 and asked when this situation will be fixed. He said Chevy would have a fix at the end of April to bring charging back to 100%. . I'm giving them until April 30 and if there is no response, I'll be formally put my name up for buying back. 2017 Bolt Premier.

4. Claire Green

Claire Green Member

Keep in mind that the buyback is an unadvertised voluntary program on GM's part and they could easily stop taking buyback requests once their final solution is announced. Also I've noticed that the process keeps getting longer and longer to get to the actual approval stage most likely because more and more owners are hearing about this "hidden" program thru word of mouth or from other owners in Bolt forums. I think this is one instance where waiting is not going to be in one's best interest. I get it that some people want to do the honest thing and take the high road (not wanting to get something for nothing). But it's not like people are pulling the wool over GM's eyes or scamming Chevrolet. Not to mention the horrible trade in value caused by the recall which is also not fair to Bolt owners. This is a voluntary offer on Chevy's part to set the stage for their big push into selling electric vehicles in the next decade and Bolt owners are some of the most loyal and vocal advocates they have and want to keep them satisfied with the EV experience. I doubt that GM would spend all this money replacing affected Bolts if they know for sure that their final solution actually works and will prevent future battery fires. I always keep my cars in the garage so I am not willing to take a chance that the final fix will be safe. I personally don't feel confident that a programming update will fix a physical problem with the batteries so I'm in the process of swapping my 2017 for a 2022 special ordered from the factory which will be delivered next month for no money out of pocket. Hope this helps other owners make the correct decision on what to do with their recalled Bolts.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
  5. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

May I suggest you break up your long, long, long paragraph if you want folks to read it.

6. Claire Green

Claire Green Member

I don't care if folks read it or not I'm simply trying to share info for other owners in this forum. For people who read books regularly my paragraph is about average length if it's too long for folks there are other threads packed with info condensed in one sentence remarks complete with emojis if that's your thing. In fact I'll do better than shorten my posts, I'll keep the info to myself and refrain from helping other owners looking for useful info about the buyback. After all I'm already approved and my 2022 Bolt is going to be delivered end of May. Good luck to all the other owners out there.

Spoonman. likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

Congrats on the 2022! That's an incredible deal you got, IMO.

I am very torn about this situation. I can't afford to be without my Bolt - I would need to replace it. But I was hoping to wait a couple more years to when I can get something like an ID.4 (with more space than an EUV, and towing capacity to boot!).

9. Claire Green

Claire Green Member

In the interest of not burdening other owners, pm me because I have info that may help with your situation.

Stephanie Madison likes this.
  10. hclarity808

hclarity808 New Member

Claire Green, Thank you for the info. I had no problem reading your thorough opinion.

11. Claire Green

Claire Green Member

Sent you a pm, hope it answers your main concern and points you to a useful resource on how to get a buyback offer from GM. Please share your experience on this forum to help others.

GetOffYourGas likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Claire Green

Claire Green Member

You are welcome. If you have questions please pm me so we don't burden the forum gods.

hclarity808 likes this.
  14. Claire Green

Claire Green Member

answered your pm please follow my advise of being patient but persistent and whatever you do please don't sell your affected Bolt for cheap as I'm sure there are people out there looking to buy cheap only to turn around and accept Chevy offer of a brand new replacement.

15. Bill A

Bill A New Member

Hi Claire Green-I sent you a PM asking for input on how best to approach the buy back. I am going on a month of back and forth with little sign of movement.

16. Claire Green

Claire Green Member

Yes unfortunately the bottleneck is with the repurchase department. As long as you have your SR# then you are in the system. Better yet if you already have your acceptance letter then you are just in line for the repurchase department. This used to be resolved in about a month's time but lately it seems owners are taking a month and a half to two months to get their cases resolved. Be patient and let the process play out is the only advise I can give.

17. Komma

Komma New Member

I called today about my 19 bolt. Supposed to be forwarded to the support department and then receive a call in 48-72 hours.

My 19 didn't receive a notice on the initial recall. Mfr date does show it was in the range as the LG problem ones though. And I do have the recall notice currently for the software update. I'm not sure if that was just pushed to everyone or not though.

18. Claire Green

Claire Green Member

If you didn't receive a notice on the initial recall then your 19 doesn't have the defective battery. Unlike the 2017/18 and some affected 19 where the dealer will "test" the battery for any problem and replace defective modules if any are found. You received a notice for the current software update to install a monitoring program to avoid the same thermal runaway problem in the future in case there are more problems with the battery. This monitoring program will be installed on ALL GM electric vehicles before they leave the factory. This is just my understanding of how this recall will be handled.

19. Joelbolt

Joelbolt New Member

Clair, appreciate your information. Guess I have been asleep at the wheel a d just g re

20. Joelbolt

Joelbolt New Member

...and just getting up to speed. I have the service notice in hand and would love to trade up to the EUV. Where should I start? Should I bring it in and give them a chance to fix it? Who do I call for buyback? Thanks!

21. hclarity808

hclarity808 New Member

Hi ClaireGreen and all. Update on the repurchase of my 2017. Started the ball rolling around April 28th. Followed all of GM's requests immediately for photos and docs to the tee. They were surprisingly responsive and timely on followups. No rental, no msrp to msrp swap. Just repurchase. Dropping off my car tomorrow with required docs and inspection May 29 @ dealership. walking away with a check. Claire Green, thanks for the wisdom. I knew what to expect and remained focused. Now, need to find a replacement vehicle which at this time is tough with vehicle shortages and pricing.

Domenick likes this.
  22. Oliver

Oliver New Member

Thanks Claire for all your posts. I have just started my process on one of the first 2017 Bolt premier cars. I’m very curious and anxiously awaiting a call back. Your encouragement is appreciated.

23. Claire Green

Claire Green Member

Glad to be of help, don't get frustrated if you don't get a call back on a promised date it's par for the course. When they are ready your coordinator WILL call when there is movement on your case. Patience and persistence is the game. Once you have an SR number you are in the loop and they cannot close the case unless you sign off on it.