Bogus Eco gauge

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by SkookumPete, May 16, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

A thread on Youtube made me aware that the white arc on the Eco mode circular gauge does not measure the power applied but the position of the throttle pedal. If you're slowing but modulating the regen with the pedal, it may show maximum efficient throttle even though the system is in a neutral state, i.e. coasting. It makes me wonder about the usefulness of this display.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Canada Dan

Canada Dan Member

The only thing I like about the Eco gauge is the amount of regen displayed above it. The gauge itself isn't useful. I use the heads up display so the speed display in the gauge is redundant.

electriceddy likes this.
  4. I use ECO exclusively and have never bothered to try to analyse that part of the display. I don't worry about using a heavy accelerator pedal - all the power I apply goes towards gaining kinetic energy at nearly the same efficiency, unlike an ICE with a complicated specific fuel consumption map and multi-ratio gearing. It's the aerodynamic and regen losses that costs me.

Kirk, R P, Kitsilano and 1 other person like this.
  5. I don't think it matters if it displays throttle position or something else. It's about the relative difference in how much you paid on the throttle and what the car thinks is economical. It could just be a gauge of green, orange and red. That would do the exact same thing.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

electriceddy likes this.
  6. I've been staring at the Eco gauge since day two, 3 months ago and have no clue what those shifty semi-circles represent. None. Maybe there's a description somewhere in the manual but, seriously, shouldn't I have been able to figure it out?

Kirk likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. It's throttle position. The or ring tells you how much you can push it until you are not efficient anymore. The inner one is you pushing on the throttle. If you push to hard on the gas it goes further down than the suggested green Arc and therefore you are wasting energy.

That's about it.

Jared Potter and Kitsilano like this.
  9. Oh. So on a couple occasions I saw little bits of red. I guess that's where the inside ring surpassed the outside one? Never figured that out for myself. Thanks for the explanation.

Jared Potter and Kitsilano like this.
  10. Exactly! That's when the car thinks you're wasting energy.

Kirk, Jared Potter and electriceddy like this.