BMW i2 (i3 Replacement) For Under $34,000 Hinted At For 2024

Discussion in 'BMW' started by interestedinEV, Mar 27, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. interestedinEV

interestedinEV Well-Known Member

https://insideevs.com/bmw-i2-i3-replacement-cheap/

Three days late and two dollars short. The I3 (which we looked at seriously) has sold only 37000 units in 2018 worldwide. Given a full size Model 3 is available at about the same price, why would they want to continue with it. Unless the range is > 200 miles, I am not sure it is even a starter.

I am however blown away by this statement

BMW is officially working on several new BEVs like the iX3, i4 and iNEXT. The i2, in the longer view, would not be surprisea , but we are not sure whether it would be good to totally retire the i3, especially as sales are growing every year. Maybe the i3 will be simply too expensive against high volume models when all the new BEV platforms hit the market?

They are living in an alternate universe. 37,000 units for a car that is been available for years, has a range of 115 miles (about half the Model 3 base which has a range of 220 miles and is actually cheaper) is not, in my, opinion growing.

[​IMG]

The i2 would be totally different from the i3
    According to German Manager Magazine, Klaus Fröhlich – Member of the Board of Management of BMW AG, Development – hinted at a potential new BMW i model – the i2, which could be launched on the market in 2024 at prices of under €30,000 ($34,000).

The new car is expected to look more conventional than the BMW i3, but could be similar in size, in the form of small sedan or four-door coupe.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. gooki

gooki Well-Known Member

Sounds like they’re trying hard not to compete with their ICE offerings. Who in their right mind would choose a mini sedan over a hatchback?

4. interestedinEV

interestedinEV Well-Known Member

Right, they think they will kill the goose that lays the golden egg, without realizing that the egg is no more gold. They need to have clearer objectives.

5. Jimmy Truong

Jimmy Truong Member

Bottom line, BMW ICE is in serious trouble. Even though I liked their their awesome engines, but no ICE can compare with electric motor in term of simplicity, performance and economy. My guess is: without making EV look like their conventional ICE cars at competitive price, BMW business is virtually over! Will see.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs