Best tires and 0 to 60 test

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Eduard, Nov 12, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Eduard

Eduard New Member

Hi. I own a Kona EV and I love it. That said, it is so powerful that when you hammer it wheels always spin loosing contact until traction control takes control. I wonder if someone has already changed its Kona EV tires, which ones have you used and what 0 to 60 do you get now with proper tires. Would it be dangerous for the engine to have too good tires? Can it be a problem with instant tork?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

The Speak EV forum which is primarily UK owners has had discussion on changing the tires (or tyres as they spell it). Seems the majority will be changing the tires to some with more traction. And I believe Bjorn Nyland on youtube who has all the testing Kona EV videos comments on changing the tires too. We will be changing out our tires before we bring it home. Perhaps the Nokian All Weather or these as commented on in the Speak EV forum:
    "Just had my dealer change my tyres to Michelin cross climate + and can say there is a road noise reduction from the new tyres in the cabin, haven't had any rain yet to see how they better grip the road. Oh , and finally got the right mats , happy days! "
    "

Eduard likes this.
  4. Eduard

Eduard New Member

Thank you! Please report on your experience once you have it. I have no idea about tyres/tires, but I feel it is something to do. So much free spinning with actual tyres.

5. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

Eduard I agree about the spinning and lack of traction. I have a C-Max Energi (plug in hybrid), and I haven't changed out the tires as I keep procrastinating and waiting for them to wear out a bit. They are terrible for traction too. I will let you know when we get our Kona EV how the tires we put on are.

Eduard likes this.
  6. To remove this ad click here.

7. Eduard

Eduard New Member

Thank you! Good data. It will be great if other people report on other tires. As the article states UHP may be too much. They increased sound noise while some are reporting other tires reduce noise.

8. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

We will be following closely as noise with tires can be dreadful. Hubby put the new Nokian All Weather (snowflake on them so legal in BC in winter) on his MKC ICE and while traction is great, the noise increased significantly in the cabin.