Average consumption and driving style thread

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Gjpzee, Mar 19, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Gjpzee

Gjpzee Member

How much is everyones average consumption so far?
    I have been driving the car for over a week (in California) . I have to say it's one heck of an upgrade from my 2010 Corolla. Loving it so far. My average consumption has been steadily improving and is now 4.4 mi/kwh over 300 miles. I drive mostly on normal mode and its a mix of street and freeway driving. I am still experimenting with regen levels, on freeways I am mostly on regen 1 and streets between regen 2 and 3. I tried alternating between regen 0 and 1 on the fwy today based on comments on another thread and I kind of feel the car coasts way more on regen 0, hence probably resulting in better mileage.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. To and from work I get about 5 miles per kwh. About 15-20 minutes on highway and city streets.

I am in eco mode almost all the time and in auto Regen with Regen 2 as standard.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

4. Mark Miller

Mark Miller New Member

For those who don't have this car, could you explain regen levels? I assume the higher the level selected, the quicker the car decelerates when you take your foot off the pedal, and the more auto regen you get? I would rather coast, plan for an upcoming red light, and only apply the brake gently when necessary -- I think that approach maximizes miles/kWh with my Prime. But Prime does not have any selectable option.

5. Yes, Regen level in the Kona goes from 0 to 4 (unofficial).

0 is close to coasting. (I noticed the other day that there is a minimal Regen associated with it)
    1 is little Regen, which I personally find too little for city driving. It's probably best for highway driving.
    2 is medium Regen. I use it in city driving and it's great to slow down for red lights and cars ahead as well as slowing in traffic on a highway.
    3 is high Regen. It's like using the brakes on a normal car and works great to come to an almost stop.
    4 (unofficial) is maximum Regen and not an actual level. But when you keep the left steering wheel paddle pressed, the Regen is higher that 3 and it will bring the car to a complete stop. I use it in city traffic to stop at red lights and in traffic.

I hope this helps to clarify.

Kitsilano and CJC like this.
  6. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

I haven't seen the Prime, but I've owned three generations of the Prius, and they all had "B" on the gear selector. This boosts the regen.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. SkookumPete

I've read that the motor cannot apply regen below a certain speed, and I wonder if the paddle trick is actually engaging the friction brakes toward the end.

9. Canada Dan

Canada Dan Member

I had thought similar to you, but in practice I leave it on full regen all the time now. If you're trying to coast at full regen, it of course starts slowly down considerably. However, if you apply a little bit of accelerator it doesn't use battery it just reduces the regen. The display in Eco mode still shows you're recovering energy.

SkookumPete likes this.
  10. I believe it is not generating electricity coming to a stop the last couple of mph. However when you come to a stop the car rocks back and forth a tiny little bit. That makes me believe it's not using the friction brakes. It kind of feels like it's "bouncing back and forth between two magnetic poles". Just like you see when an electric fan comes to a stop (just my feeling, not at all a scientific description!)

11. Kitsilano

Kitsilano Active Member

Good obsevation. I think you're probably right. And have you noticed that on a really steep slope, if you stop there after using stop-and-hold at Regen 3, after say 15 seconds the 'brakes' (wheel brakes or 'motor brake') will release and the car will move?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. SkookumPete

Maybe I'm too old a dog to learn new tricks, but I seldom use the paddles because the same modulation of regen can be accomplished with the pedals. For tootling around town, I let auto regen do its magic and seldom have to touch the brakes except to come to a full stop.

14. Yeah, I noticed that too. It's not a full replacement for the brakes. If you're on a slope it takes longer to come to a stop with the paddles as well.

15. Canada Dan

Canada Dan Member

Oh I keep it on auto regen at highest setting as well, though I do use the paddles to "brake" to a full stop when possible, unless I'm on cruise control.

16. I think if you use auto Regen you should set it to a low setting like 1 or 2. Because the auto Regen will increase it as needed. But I don't think it will decrease it.

Mine increases the Regen to 2 and 3 if I catch up to traffic when it's set to 1. It's such an awesome feature! I love it!

Vanryan likes this.
  17. Kitsilano

Kitsilano Active Member

Fuel economy or electrical energy consumption can be measured in the good ol' American way, in terms of distance traveled per unit of energy consumed (Miles per kilowatt-hour). It's a natural transition from MPG used with ICE vehicles. It's even better than it was, because now we don't have the perennial problem presented by two different "gallons" existing in the USA and in the UK, the 'small gallon' the Yanks have kept using since colonial days and the 10-pound or Imperial Gallon the Brits adopted in 1824. But unfortunately there is another and globally more popular method used by most Europeans, Chinese, South Africans, Australians, Kiwis, and Canucks---one that measures energy consumption in terms of energy consumed per unit of fuel or energy consumed (Liters of fuel burned or kilowatt-hours of energy consumed per 100 kilometers). Comparing the two methods can be difficult for the algebraically challenged. Google "Fuel economy in vehicles" for handy tables. An article in Popular Mechanics claimed that the more popular method is used because it's easier to make comparisons between two vehicles when expressed as energy consumed per unit of distance. It seems that displays in Konas sent to American Hyundai dealers are different from cars going to Canada, which maintains the existence of two methods in N America.

18. Kitsilano

Kitsilano Active Member

Does this happen in both ECO and NORMAL mode? Ahh, the mysteries of Regen!

CJC likes this.
  19. Yes, I am mostly in eco mode but used normal the last couple days and it increased it by itself coming up on traffic.

CJC likes this.
  20. dom

dom New Member

I’ve been doing this as well, but I noticed when coming to a full stop with the paddle, the brake lights go out right after the car is fully stopped. I find if you use auto hold and then lightly tap on the brake at this point it will keep the brake lights on and not have to keep your foot on it. Not sure there is any other way to keep the lights on at a stop other than foot down

CJC and Esprit1st like this.
  21. How are you seeing your brake lights while driving?

22. I see them at night reflected in the car behind me ...

Mattsburgh, Kitsilano and CJC like this.
  23. Ah. Okay.