Auxilary Battery Saver Explained (video from FB Kona group)

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by CJC, Apr 25, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

Wildeyed and BC-Doc like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. KonaTom

KonaTom Well-Known Member

so you don't need to use utility mode if you have battery saver on!

4. Supplies 14.4V while the car is in run mode, definitely recommend using battery saver

5. If you want a mysterious alarm

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

electriceddy likes this.
  6. :D

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

@electriceddy is battery saver mode an option,if so,where do you turn it on ?
    @KonaTom , utility mode's something we can control, turn on.

Mine has come on now once every two months after sitting overnight, unplugged.What I can't find info.on is what is the "normal" operation for this auxiliary battery saver mode for the 12 V? I read it happens when the 12V gets lower than it should? Wondering if I have a failing 12V if every two months is abnormal for the auxiliary mode to run.I also don't get that driver display message"Aux.Battery Saver + was used while parked. Would notice it because the ready drive displays in the same area post start. 12V charging20190928.jpg

9. I always get the message on start-up if the car sits for one day, sometimes less. You would think that parasitic loads would take a week to even come close to draining the auxillary battery enough to require a top-up.
    Battery Saver is enabled in the dash menus, should be 'on' from delivery.

10. Push menu button on steering wheel, User settings/Other/ (top of list - Battery saver+) / enable.
    Never received any message the video indicated, but the yellow light comes on if I don't drive that day (24 hours) at a fairly consistent time usually about 5 - 6 pm but only for a short duration (5 minutes tops).
    The question is - why is this an option anyway? It should work whether you receive a message or not - period.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    ehatch likes this.
  11. While I have seen the LED illuminated on my car I have never seen the on-screen prompt about the battery saver having been activated.

ehatch likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. I've never seen the message in the display either.
    However, I've had that weird alarm that nobody knew existed. The alarm only stopped after I turned off the battery saver. After a couple days I turned it back on and never had the alarm come on since.

14. I totally forgot about the complaints of alarm noises, one or two on FB as well.

15. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

geesh, i have NEVER had the alarm.Whatz up with all this weirdness from our otherwise fantastic EVs? Thing that bugs me,the owner's manual doesn't expand on the event so owners know to be wary , or ignore because it's "normal." @Wildeyed shouldn't find out the hard way that maybe their scenario wasn't "normal,"and should have received a dash alert like the master warning light [triangle, exclamation inside] to visit the dealership.Especially with the resulting DTC codes.

Wildeyed and electriceddy like this.
  16. mikeselectricstuff

mikeselectricstuff Active Member

The normal operation is that it comes on for 20 minutes every 24 hours if teh car hasn't been driven. It doesn't always show the message on the dash - seems to be random whether it does or doesn't
    What I don't understand is why there is even an option to turn this off .

Wildeyed likes this.
  17. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

I never had that message on my dash, but my car rarely sits for more than 8 hours at a time

18. davidtm

davidtm Active Member

As cars become more technologically sophisticated, manufacturers should really up their game by having software development teams as good as phone manufacturers.

ehatch likes this.
  19. That depends on the phone manufacturer!
    But yes, they need to up their game. But my fear is that they don't realize how much more important this is getting. It all worked great for the last 100 years ...

ehatch likes this.