Autoline TV tests a Model 3

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by bwilson4web, Apr 27, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Bob Wilson

Domenick likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Pretty good video. I'm a little sad he didn't get it to take the cloverleaf properly. I think if he hadn't of had to get rid of the nag it might of. At least, I've seen video of it handling similar without a problem.

bwilson4web likes this.
  4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

It probably should have been called "student driver" for the relationship between the human driver and AutoPilot. It takes time for the human driver, the student, to understand how AutoPilot handles some of the edge cases ... the human driver becomes a "student" to AutoPilot.

AutoPilot handles edge cases differently including:
    • 6:10 in video - the marginal Detroit area road and lane repairs. Look at the patches and left lane line.
    • last second decisions - often AutoPilot decides at the last moment to do the right thing.
    • lane lines can confuse AutoPilot - if a solid, right hand lane line curves over, the car continues and won't follow a turn-signal initiated lane change until the dashed lines show up.
    • one lane into two DECIDE - the car does not handle a split from one lane to two without a little excitement. It won't run off the road but the delayed decision is 'exciting.' Then you can tell the car which lane to drive in.
    In the past month, I've gained enough experience so visually, I can anticipate the relatively rare edge cases and manually take over. In a week with less than my 2,800 miles, John hasn't had enough experience and unless he buys one, is unlikely to pass over to my side of the learning curve.

Sunday afternoon, I gave a 'test drive' to one of the brighter, more sociable servers at my favorite Mexican restaurants. We covered:
    • one pedal driving - in the parking lot
    • one pedal in a low-traffic back street - to gain confidence
    • max acceleration (in "chill mode") so they understood it
    • multi-lane traffic driving with Traffic Aware Cruise Control (TACC) - to understand the car can go to 'no pedal driving' in normal traffic yet with them still steering the car
    • faster driving into +60 mph traffic with TACC - so they are OK with the car handling the accelerator
    • maximum hill climb - letting them see that they can ascend a steep hill fast enough to be exciting (i.e., +90 mph) where it won't be scared yet impressed with the car
    • lane keeping, auto steering - has to be done carefully but necessary to see the future including turn signaled, lane changing
    John has yet to experience a 'Bob Wilson' test drive but I make sure the 'student driver' is never pushed into environments where fear can over power learning.

Bob Wilson

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    Domenick likes this.