Arcadia Power solar offset

Discussion in 'Energy' started by Emanuel Green, May 17, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Emanuel Green

Emanuel Green Member

Forgive me if this is off topic, but I thought it might be of interest to you all.

I love driving my Clarity in EV mode as much as possible, but I'm in the US Midwest, so a lot of our electricity comes from coal. While an EV is still beneficial, the environmental benefits are limited. I would love to set up a solar array on my home, but I don't think I'll be able to do that for another decade or so.

In the mean time, I found a great solution with a company called Arcadia Power. They will buy renewable energy credits to offset your electricity usage. A 50% offset is free, or for an extra 1.5 cents per kWh, you can get a 100% offset! (This is what I do.)

They also have a Community Solar program where you lease a panel somewhere else in the country and they offset your power bill by the amount that was generated by your panel. That way, you don't need to physically have the panel installed in your home (which is great for apartment dwellers or people with persnickety HOAs).

I know it's not quite as good as real, locally-sourced renewable energy, but every little bit helps, right?

Let me know if you are interested, and I can send/post a referral link.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Active Member

I recently switched to a company called IGS Energy, with a 100% offset, that saved me 0.99¢ / kWh off my basic electric generation rate. AND I can cancel a program I was participating in where I paid 2.2¢ / kWh to get a 61% offset.

So, I am now saving 3.19¢ /kWh and getting 39% higher offset.

Also, we are now generating about 2/3rds of the electricity we use, with a 10.1kW solar PV array on our roof.

Emanuel Green likes this.