Any NJ owners applying for the EV rebate?

Discussion in 'General' started by porky, May 28, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. porky

porky Member

I received an email from NJ Clean Energy today announcing that the program was accepting applications for the EV rebate. I thought it would be a slam dunk but I noticed a new (at least to me) condition that required the vehicle to be purchased from an authorized NJ dealer. Now, I purchased my 2019 Niro EV on 02/28 from a dealer in Maryland so I emailed the program. They replied a few minutes ago saying if I had purchased the vehicle from an out of state dealer, I am not eligible for the rebate.

To my knowledge, as of 02/28/20, the program had not specified that the vehicle needed to be purchased in NJ. Is anyone else applying for the rebate from NJ facing this situation?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Living in Alabama, I can't get a Tennessee HOV pass for our Model 3. So I let Autopilot deal with rush hour traffic.

Bob Wilson

4. porky

porky Member

WAS YOU NJ REBATE FOR AN EV DENIED BECAUSE YOU PURCHASED YOUR VEHICLE OUT OF STATE?

Hi guys - I applied for the $5000 EV rebate for my Kia Niro but was denied by njcleanenergy.com. The reason - I did not purchase it from an NJ dealer.
    The conditions announced on January 17, 2020 were:
    • Purchase or lease an eligible vehicle on or after 01/17/20
    • Vehicle must be registered in the State of New Jersey
    • Provide proof of New Jersey residency by providing a state ID or other acceptable documentation
    • Vehicle MSRP less than $55,000
    • You will receive a $25 for every mile of battery only range, subject to a cap of $5,000
    On April 08, 2020 njcleanenergy.com released an additional condition that the vehicle must be purchased or leased from an NJ dealer. Now, I had purchased my vehicle out of state in February. Naturally, I was pissed at being blindsided by this new condition that was applied retrospectively. Had they announced the condition prior to my purchase, I would not have purchased my vehicle out of state. The discount I received from the out of state dealer does not make up for the $5,000 rebate. I wrote back to the njcleanenergy.com but no dice. I then wrote to my state rep but didn't meet with much luck.

I got an email from njcleanenergy.com recently saying they were reviewing my case but I am not sure if that's going to result in a positive outcome. If any of you in NJ has purchased an EV out of state before 04/08/20 and your rebate has been denied, please pester your rep and write to njcleanenergy.com. It's plain wrong to change the rules in the middle of the game.