Another question came to mind

Discussion in 'Rivian' started by RLXXI, Dec 6, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. RLXXI

RLXXI Active Member

Will Rivian offer trade in allowances like the rest of the automotive selling world?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Poorpilot

Poorpilot Member

Good question- I know Tesla offers this service, but you might be better off selling in the open market.

4. RLXXI

RLXXI Active Member

From my own experience of 11 years working at a Ford dealer, they made more $$ on used vehicle sales and the service dept than new sales so it seems only logical for them to follow suit.

Just one of those unanswered questions Rivian will have to answer if they want to end up on the stock market.

5. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

Good question. Since Rivian is a brand-new auto maker, you would be advised to keep your options open. Selling your used car yourself might be the best option, even if Rivian does offer a trade-in.

6. VJS695

VJS695 New Member

Do not know if this question belongs here but feel free to move it. Would the jack points location be the same as say like the tesla where you would need those adaptors so you wont damage the batteries, do not know if this was discussed anywhere else, thanks

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. RLXXI

RLXXI Active Member

Another good question! Perhaps we can use this thread as the Q of QnA place. Hopefully some A's come along if Rivian see's it. Jacking the vehicle up one wheel at a time would be the same as any other vehicle, floor jack under a control arm.

Domenick likes this.
  9. RLXXI

RLXXI Active Member

What operating system does the truck use? Android? Linux? Gawd help us all if it's Micro$oft. I have MS Sync in my truck now and it's practically useless.

10. Pushmi-Pullyu

Tesla cars have non-standard jack receptor holes, and if you use a standard jack to lift the car, it can cause damage. Tesla cars require a special adapter to be placed into the holes before a standard jack is used. I think that's what VJS695 is asking about.

Why does Tesla do that? I haven't the slightest idea. It certainly does make it harder to get a Tesla car properly serviced at a non-Tesla service center, which isn't good for Tesla car owners. :(

But I see no reason why Rivian would follow Tesla in that regard. Yeah, they're following Tesla's business plan to some extent, but that doesn't mean they're going to mindlessly imitate Tesla in every respect.

VJS695 likes this.
  11. RLXXI

RLXXI Active Member

Looking at the underside of the skate board that is Rivian I see the same kind of suspension that's been in use for years, specifically the Lincoln Continental, it sits on air bags and jacking it from the lower control arm with a standard floor jack is perfectly acceptable.

Since we can't compare apples to oranges eg: Rivian/Lincoln, Rivian/Tesla it's just my professional opinion. My training and experience as a professional auto tech tells me it should be very possible to raise a wheel by those control arms for things such as putting the spare on after a flat.

One would be SOL if they caught a flat and weren't on level enough ground to use an OEM jack, at least that's been my experience for the last 40 years that I've been buying vehicles of all brands.

Since Rivian is touting these vehicles as offroad specific, I would think they would be wise enough to include a simple floor jack for that purpose. Tesla's and Lincoln's are not built with offroad in mind.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. VJS695

VJS695 New Member

That’s it Pushmi, my exact thoughts i have read a few owners ran into that problem, i am waiting to put a preorder in I want to hear a little more about the suv as far as warranty & other things.I am hoping Rivian will show up @ the New York auto show in 2019, thanks for your response

14. Pushmi-Pullyu

Furthermore, Googling images related to the subject just now, it looks like the Model 3 needs a different jack adapter than the Model S/X!

[​IMG]
    Model 3 jack adapter on the left;
    Model S/X jack adapters on the right

Something every Tesla car owner should carry in his frunk.

15. gooki

gooki Well-Known Member

My guess would be QNX.

16. RLXXI

RLXXI Active Member

Hmm I have no experience with QNX but I have heard of it. I'm hoping they go Android because it's so infinitely configurable and very user friendly.