Android Auto in MINIs: The Rumor Mill

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by F14Scott, Jul 21, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. F14Scott

F14Scott Well-Known Member

I don't understand why BMW/MINI neglected Android phones in their cars, given the Androids' sales dominance for the last decade. Perhaps it is a standardisation thing, with iOS and its proprietary and predictable models being easier to integrate.

Nevertheless, it appears BMW is adding Androids to its cars. Can MINI be far behind?

Looks like it will only be for top-of-the-line Android phones, ones capable of connecting to Android Auto via Bluetooth. I would love that setup, as I could drop my Samsung on the wireless charger and go.

Anyone heard any rumors floating around?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. idrw

idrw Member

That is likely in the 2022MY. The infotainment is going to be updated to be based off idrive 7 which will support wireless android auto. There could also be a facility to buy features post sale or via subscription.

F14Scott likes this.
  4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Along with the spy photos of the camouflaged MINIs with hidden, revised front ends are hints that the infotainment system may also receive an update. I assumed that would mean Android Auto because BMW's getting Android Auto. I don't know if the place to hold smaller iPhones (the big ones won't fit) in the armrest works with Android phones now or if they'll change that.

F14Scott likes this.
  5. F14Scott

New article on BMWs implementation, with models of cars and devices supported:

https://www.androidauthority.com/bmw-android-auto-available-1142358/

"Android Auto on BMWs is wireless only. That limits compatibility to Google Pixel phones (plus a few Nexus devices) and some Samsung models. Also, only certain BMW vehicles support the feature. You’ll need at least iDrive 7.0, and then only on the 3, 5, 7, 8, X3, X5, and X7 model lines. If you’re driving a different model or can’t get the latest firmware, you’re out of luck."

6. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

These are seemingly artificial limitations. BMW certainly has access to the technology of wires. The company is apparently happy to short-change and alienate customers simply to minimize support costs. This counter-customer decision begs for a BMW-Apple conspiracy theory.

F14Scott likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I'm not an Android user, but I stumbled across this. It might not be the same as the official Android Auto, but it's something.

Android Auto for iDrive

This project is an effort to implement most of the features of Android Auto as unofficial BMW/Mini Connected Apps.

idrw, F14Scott and Toi like this.
  9. Toi

Toi Well-Known Member

seems like a step forward... I'll have to give it a go when I get my mini...

10. F14Scott

Looks awesome. Will definitely give it a try. Thanks!

11. Ptark

Ptark New Member

F14Scott likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. F14Scott

I tried this, and it works! Using my Samsung phone and Spotify, I get the full Spotify experience on Jessie's media screens, including album art and HUD song names and FF and REV. That's all I've tried, so far, but since my phone sits in a cup-holder-based charger (because stupid engineers couldn't add half an inch to the charging dock), I am running Waze on the phone and Spotify on half the big screen, with driving data on the other half of the split screen. Who needs Android auto?

MichaelC and Puppethead like this.
  14. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

That's really awesome.