Accidents and repairs

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Domenick, Mar 14, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Unfortunately, cars will get involved in accidents. As in life, though, how you recover is the important part.

So, I thought we'd start a thread for owners who've suffered at the cruel hands of fate. Perhaps the community at large can learn some lessons about how our Hyundais can (or in some cases, can not) be repaired.

Hopefully, this thread won't collect too many cases of crashes.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. GL Ontario

GL Ontario Member

Still no word on whether they can fix my kona. I only owned it for a month but I really miss driving it. I am not sure what I will do if they can't repair it. Once you go electric there is no going back 20190313_175849.jpg

4. Any vehicle replacement insurance?

5. GL Ontario

GL Ontario Member

Yes . Not worried about insurance coverage but not sure they can easily replace the Kona.

6. drivingbythesun

drivingbythesun New Member

Owned the Kona for 1 week. Drove it four times. 204 miles. And a deer ran right into me after I swerved to avoid hitting it. Left side headlights, plastic fake grill, plastic hub cover and plastic trim under the drivers side door all broken. Front quarter panel damaged. And door dented. Not a scratch on the hood or even on the tire rim but there was deer hair in the tire bead so that might have had to be replaced. I posted about this in a different topic but I got the estimate today, 2 weeks after it got to the collision center. I've gotten the estimate amount, but not the breakdown. Almost $10k USD! I can't believe it!

Forgot to add - as expected, parts are going to be an issue. Hyundai can't tell us when they will be in, or even what they will cost. (According to the collision center of course). The dealership is being optimisitic with "maybe by the end of the month".

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    Wildeyed and Domenick like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Yowza, that hurts! That's higher than I would have expected, but maybe there are lots of things behind the body panels that also need to be replaced.
    Thank goodness for insurance.

9. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

Wow $10,000! I would never have guessed it to be so much. I hope they give you a loaner while you wait. So sorry for all this happening to you. I have read of at least one more deer jumping in front of a Kona EV. They are so fast that you have no warning at all.

mho likes this.
  10. drivingbythesun

So heard from the insurance company today and saw the estimate myself. They are replacing a lot more than I thought! Basically all the plastic in the front (grill and bumper), the 2 lights, all the plastic trim on the drivers side of the car, from end to end. Not sure why, it was only the front that was damaged. Maybe so it all matches. The door and front quarter panel are being replaced. Painting the whole front of the car, and the left side of the car. Wheel alignment. Something to do with the radiator, maybe assembly? And replacing the fluid with that. Replacing all the A/C fluid. Maybe they will do an oil change while they are at it (haha). They will be disconnecting the hybrid system and reconnecting when done. The insurance negotiated the quote down to under $9k. And once all the parts are in, it will be a month for it to be completed. So it comes down to $5000 USD parts, $1500 paint (parts and labor), and the rest is labor. C'mon parts. I'd love to have my car back by the summer! Since it's just turned spring!

I don't need a rental because I didn't sell my old car yet. So I'm making car payments for a 2019 Kona and driving a 2013 Volt. But if I do need a rental, at any point before getting my car back, it's covered, and they will take care of it all for me. If I could get a Kona EV as a rental, I'd be right on that. But I don't really want to drive a gas car while waiting.

11. Happy for you its all working out.
    Just curious, do your insurance rates increase due to a Deer hit?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. drivingbythesun

No. This is considered comprehensive, not collision and they specifically stated that this won't affect my rates. Whew!

mho, ClarityDoc and Domenick like this.
  14. Good to know , thank you

15. drivingbythesun

So today is 4 weeks since I hit a deer, just under 3 weeks since they ordered parts, and I got an update from the collision center. They have all but 2 parts in, and everything that needs to be painted has been moved to the paint shop to be done while they are waiting for the other 2 parts, one of which they need before they can start actual repairs on the vehicle. That part is coming ground from California (to MD).

Domenick likes this.
  16. GL Ontario

GL Ontario Member

It has been 3 weeks since I was rear ended. My collision centre told me they are waiting on 2 parts that are on back order. No time frame given from Hyundai. They have all other parts but are not starting the job until the final 2 parts arrive. Seeing as I still dont have my floors mats I ordered 2 months ago it could be a long time before I see my car again.

mho and Domenick like this.
  17. So they pre paint the parts before installing, that's good. I was wondering about painting parts while on the vehicle with the heat in the high ambient spray booth not so good for battery.

18. Hopefully its not as long as this:
    https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/ridiculous-cost-and-time-repair-model-3

19. drivingbythesun

ONE MORE WEEK! All parts are in, painted, and they are "rebuilding" the car now. I will have it back by next Friday, possibly sooner.

20. GL Ontario

GL Ontario Member

That's awesome. I called my collision center. The last parts are due to arrive on Wednesday. Likely a week and a half until repaired. I hopefully will have my car back the beginning of May.

electriceddy likes this.
  21. drivingbythesun

57486476_10158285265734325_5808590955967676416_n.jpg 57538136_10158285265774325_8786304409488326656_n.jpg 58382600_10158285265834325_6174596751693971456_n.jpg

And she's home. Good as new. They turned the car on once a week to keep the battery getting used. And in the 6 weeks since last charge, including the 6 miles they drove her, she went from 203 miles to 188 miles on the battery. Not bad. Of course, I turned on the AC today and that put me from 188 miles to 167 right away. She's charging now on a very slow charger. And the work and parts are all lifetime warranted. Very happy with the job they did. I was afraid to look too closely, but my boyfriend did that for me and it passed his review.

mho, Domenick and electriceddy like this.
  22. drivingbythesun

Yeah! It should be soon for you too then!

23. Fantastic! Great to see you're back to battery power. Wishing you many deer-free miles.

zoominbc and electriceddy like this.