A Kona question….

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by miatadan, Jun 6, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. miatadan

miatadan Active Member Subscriber

I may consider looking at the 2022 if they ever appear as I like the new exterior styling and they improved the interior .

How is the quality of the stereo system? In the past some sales people would look at me strange as I would check stereo in the car first, if stereo was not good - no test drive. Reason for 2019 Jetta Execline was the Beats audio system.

Background info - working in stereo shop since 1983 , so very fussy about sound. Home audio system is all Mclntosh audio components including some using vacuum tubes, JL Audio subwoofers, Magnepan panel speakers. Cost of audio system exceeds many EV’s.

Do different trim levels get different stereo?

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I am not positive whether all trims have the same quality sound system. I have the Ultimate trim, and it is OK, not as good as a luxury car, but better than many other cheaper cars. Not sure what can be done to improve it further, maybe speakers. But am no expert on that.

Was thinking more about your charging station situation. You say you live in an apartment. Being in Sudbury, I assume most ICE cars there have block heaters. So there should be some outlets at your apartment parking lot, or at your work, not too mention many businesses around town. Many people, if their daily commute is not too long, get by very easily on level 1.

miatadan likes this.
  4. You definitely want the ultimate trim as I believe it's the only one with the improved audio system. The two lower trims have sub-par audio systems that will definitely not work for you. However, if you consider upgrading it anyways you could possibly save on the car and upgrade the sound system yourself.

miatadan likes this.
  5. miatadan

Yes, I can charge daily at Level 1 at apartment, and new work location is less than 2 kms from me, timed it walking from my apartment to front entrance at work less than 10 minutes.

Also considered the BMW 330e because of the RWD , handling and EV range good enough for daily use without touching gas. Thought of Toyota Prius Prime but FWD and awful 0-60 sec times.

In the winter do not go anywhere except work and order groceries ( Instra Cart ) absolutely hate the cold. Should of been born in BC.

Audi Q4 etron seems nicer than Mach-E or VW ID-4. Not fan of glossy black pieces ( from reviews of ID4 ) but no Canadian pricing yet.

Always liked the interior of luxury cars and the interior is what you see most.

Unfortunately none of the newer EV’s announced, I suspect will not be in dealership until this winter, maybe next spring…

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

6. OK, so charging shouldn't be a problem. As for FWD, no issue with that for me. Might feel a bit of torque steer at high power when taking off, but I don't even notice it. It is not like an ICE car where the drive train is not symmetrical. And FWD is definitely better than RWD in snow. Where you live, probably would want winter tires anyway.

miatadan likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. miatadan

I have read that few times that FWD in electric vehicle different than ICE , including Mini Cooper SE section.

Guess I too biased on RWD due to what I drove most often in the past. Will try to get test drive of Kona electric if I can convince staff there to let me go for test drive. They seem to judge people based on what you wear. Ignored me last time I walked in showroom because I was wearing jeans.

Dan

electriceddy likes this.
  9. Unfortunately that trick doesn't work around here. Usually the sales personnel are all over you before you even get in the door. That is one reason I tend to "shop" for cars on the lot when the rain is pouring down, the moisture doesn't bother me and neither do the sales staff.:)

mho and KiwiME like this.
  10. miatadan

I did look at the cars in the lot for about 20 minutes before going into the showroom. While the next day when across the street at BMW when I was outside looking at the i3, they came out to see if I had questions . This was in 2019

Dan