49kw at 81%

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by FloridaSun, Jul 12, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

I'm on a road trip and I just stopped at a brand new Charger in Avon Park/FL. I didn't need a charge as I was still at 81% but I connected to see if it works.. Well, it worked but the car pulled 49Kw at 81%.. It is supposed to be 24kw at that SoC.. 20200712_100208.jpg 20200712_100320.jpg

1st-KonaEV-in-FL likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

Curious .. Was that a RAPID charging station?

Side note -- I have that same Color sans the white Top .. love the color !

4. Sounds like one to revisit, wonder what it supplies at low SOC?

5. FloridaSun

yes, it was a Greenlots DC fast charger. Not sure what speed but I believe 50kw.. Never seen that type charger before. Brand new type.. I got a response on speakev from Stageshoot. He said that it happens from time to time that charge starts fast at high SoC until the BMS catches up. So, it appears to be normal.

6. FloridaSun

I will use that charger on my way back home. That's why I tested on my way to my destination to make sure that it will work on the way back. Only charged for 1 minute..

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. FloridaSun

close up of charger..
    No app or card needed.. Just plug in and press start and it starts charging.. Free..

20200712_154637.jpg

Clamps likes this.
  9. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

Tangentially, I recently pulled 49-50 kW from a BC Hydro 50 kW station. Never did better than 47 before. Wonder if the update is responsible or if it was just perfect conditions.

10. GeorgeS

GeorgeS Active Member

Never seen Green lots higher than 50kwh. Check your credit card on file. We have used Green Lots before and the charge schedule is always strange. Last one was $5 connect with green lots card on top of .21 min.

11. FloridaSun

I did not use any card and charger does not show up on greenlots app. There is no credit card reader on the machine, just a start and stop button.. It is free.. Didn't even need my Greenlots RFID card. I've never seen that model charger before.. Therefore, I can't guess the power level..

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    GeorgeS likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Took a drive up to Whistler for some hiking today, and on way back stopped at Squamish, and saw this exact same one, Tritium, brand new. But I couldn't get it to work. Was supposed to be free, too. Instructions stepped me through to plugging it in and then wanting a card tap. I used my Greenlots, it beeped, but did not work (start button didn't light up) and just instructed me to put it back in its holster. Tried several times, no luck. No problem as we had a couple of other free BC Hydro fast chargers on the route, and we stopped a couple times for a bite. Ended up back with more kms on the GOM that we started...

Roads were very busy, and so was Whistler. Downhill mtn biking is in full swing now, and I saw lots of cars from outside BC incl quite a few from the US. Not sure how they are getting in, as the borders are still closed except for going to Alaska. Whistler village was also bustling with young people, and very little social distancing or anyone wearing a mask, just some of the old people,... like us.

14. FloridaSun

Charged on the same charger on the way home.. It tapered at 76.5% to 38kw and to 24kw at 78.5%.. It appears that it has to do with battery temperature.. If the battery is not too hot, it appears that the BMS allows more kw.. Before I left Fort Lauderdale, I charged on Electrify to 80% and the session ended at 48kw speed at 80%, so it never tapered..
    Statistics from my day trip: 455.5 miles 3.7 mi/kwh average... mostly 65 mph with 4 persons in the car and AC set to 74 degrees.. Definitely worse than when I did the same trip last year when I got 4.1 mi/kwh.. I did run 4 psi more in the tires last year.. but my new Nexens show 44 psi maximum.. I may just inflate them to maximum and see if that helps..

electriceddy likes this.