$3K off 2018 Leaf = good deal?

Discussion in 'Nissan' started by briloop, Jun 10, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

$3K off 2018 Leaf = good deal?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. briloop

briloop Member

https://www.pnm.com/evoffer

Nissan North America is offering PNM customers $3,000 off MSRP on a new 2018 Nissan LEAF. This discount can be combined with up to $7,500 in federal tax credits. This opportunity is another part of the PNM effort to accelerate clean transportation in New Mexico and help customers save.

The deal expires June 30, 2018.

I prefer a car with a longer range that has a thermal management system. But, if this is a good deal, why pass up on it?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. David Green

David Green Well-Known Member

I took my buddy in to buy a Nissan Leaf today the car sticker at $36,403. we got it for $30,550, It was the SV with the Tech Package and cold weather package. Had fun all afternoon testing the Pro Pilot, and adaptive cruise control... Its an impressive car for what it is.

4. interestedinEV

interestedinEV Well-Known Member

I have been looking at this and I am still not decided. A $3000 rebate is offered by our utility lasting up to Sept. The dealer threw in another $2000. I am trying to hold out for another $1000 or so but not sure if I get there. The question is "Will the discounts grow higher when the new Leaf (2019) with a 60kwh batter comes out. ?". Nissan has promised a 60KWh with thermal management, which might drop the value of the old one considerably. I do not know. I am in the same boat as you are.

5. David Green

Nissan Leaf is a high depreciation car, as most high value cars are. Even the 60Kwh will depreciate quickly. If you can sell for 50% of price in 4yr 50 K miles, that is good. Nissan Leaf is only a good deal if you really negotiate the price hard, cap cost is the key to the value. Do not let your dealer BS you, there is a lot of room to negotiate... but you might have to wait to the last day of the month, or Qtr to get the best deal if that is what you decide to buy. .

6. VTLeaf

VTLeaf New Member

Wait til the 19s come out and you’ll see these get slashed — Coastal Nissan in MA already has at least one SV at 7k below MSRP.

I wouldn’t buy a new Leaf due to their industry-leading depreciation, but I might buy a lightly used 18 or 19 in a couple of years as it’s a nice if limited car.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. David Green

I just negotiated one for my buddy and we got $5800 below MSRP, and 0% financing. I think its a pretty good buy, compared to any available EV, just by the metric of value. If you are a commuter, its the perfect far, lets look at the numbers, we paid $30,550 - 7500 is 23K for a car with 150 mile range and Pro Pilot, then you give some value to the 0% financing, my spreadsheet says that value is 4K so we are at 19K for the car. Now in my buddies case the car is replacing a Hyundai Elantra, so I used $100 per month for the value saving number of the EV over the Elantra (fuel and maintenance). So in 5 years of ownership he will save another 6K getting his net cost of the car to 13K. I am pretty sure he will be able to sell a 50K mile Leaf with Pro Pilot for 13K, in which case the car cost him $0, and just borrowed his cash. So lets say he can only sell it for 10K that means it cost 3K for 60 months to own, or $50 a month. Or if he can only sell it for 7K it cost him $100 a month to own, or the same as driving his old Hyundai. Any way you look at it, it represents great value.

Marcel_g likes this.