2021 Toyota Rav4 Prime. FWD only in EV?

Discussion in 'Rav4 Prime' started by Blue Adept, Jun 7, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Question. Searching for this answer and can't find it anywhere. Will the Rav4 Prime in EV mode be FWD only and AWD in Hybrid Mode?

This may only be a rumor read on insideevs.

Blue

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Here's what I could find from Toyota:
    The RAV4 Prime employs the same version of Electronic On-Demand All-Wheel Drive (AWD) as the RAV4 Hybrid. In both models, a separate rear-mounted electric motor powers the rear wheels when needed, including proactively on acceleration startup and also in reduced-traction conditions.

If anything, it would be rear-wheel-drive in EV-only mode. I'll see if I can find info that's more definitive, though.

4. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

Not likely. There's an electric motor in front too. EV only is probably front mostly plus rear when necessary.

Domenick likes this.
  5. That is what I just found out. Thanks

Domenick likes this.
  6. papab

papab Member

Can anybody point me to a good description of the drivetrain on this vehicle, or its predecessors?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I've added lots of technical details from the Toyota over on this other RAV4 thread.

9. Keith Newton

Keith Newton New Member

Well if it is like the awd hybrid then it can can be driven in EV mode only fwd or awd . My current awd shows thus in the piwer distribution graphic .

In normal road driving the car remains Fwd and ev mode uses the front motor but if you want to be in awd mode then it will use front a rear motor ev only
    The rear motor is only 40hp

Domenick likes this.