2017 Bolt: First Design Battery vs Second Design Battery

Discussion in 'Bolt EV' started by Carolyn O, Oct 29, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. Carolyn O

Carolyn O New Member

I purchased my 2017 Bolt in August of 2019. It now has 50K miles and I drive about 6K miles per year. I do not know the maintenance history, if any. Now I am trying to figure out if I have a "first design battery" or a "second design battery". According to my VIN # it appears I have a first design battery -- if it had not been replaced before I purchased the car. I have a VIN# before the VIN Breakpoint (1G1FX6S06H4163254) where they started using the second design battery.

I ask this because I understand that the first design battery had an inherent problem: Bolt 2017 reports greater range than I actually have and may run out of battery power while driving. Does anyone have any background on this? (For background see WeberAuto at:

Go to: 2:40 to 5:16 minutes

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

There is nothing to maintain on the traction battery.

I don't know the answer to that. I suggest you go to a an active Bolt forum and ask your question.

https://www.chevybolt.org/forums/

I'm not following you. Are you reading your range off your Bolt's speedometer? If so, that range is an estimate based on your previous driving and whether or not you use the heater.

Again this may be a question you can get answered by going through the old posts at the active Bolt forum I listed or asking your question there.

Note, I don't how much information one can get from the VIN, but I think I would edit it out and replace it with the date it was built. There should be a sticker on your Bolt showing the date it was built.

I do think it is safe to state you are operating the vehicle in Western Washington.