2014 RAV4 EV battery loss

Discussion in 'Rav4 EV' started by Oceans2, May 30, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Oceans2

Oceans2 New Member

Hi
    My 2014 RAV4 EV is only charging to about 80 miles. I have the extended warranty. Has anyone gotten a replacement Tesla battery under Toyota warranty?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. miimura

miimura New Member

There is no capacity warranty on the Tesla battery packs installed in the RAV4 EV. In addition, the warranty lasts 8 years. Are you still covered?
    However, I suspect that the 80 miles is not a real reflection of the energy capacity of your battery, just your recent driving efficiency. If you charge the car to full Extended charge and disconnect the 12V battery, the range display will reset to a fixed constant that is proportional to your actual battery energy available. This is called the "Tony Test". 142 miles is 100% original energy content.

http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1625

4. Oceans2

Oceans2 New Member

Thanks! That is what the dealership keeps doing is resetting it. I do drive pretty fast and brake a lot.
    I have an extended dealership warranty

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

5. miimura

miimura New Member

The other thing to consider is that an extended warranty like the Toyota Platinum VSA will probably exclude the traction battery. So, it is very likely that you have no warranty coverage for it after the 8 year/100,000 mile Factory Traction Battery Warranty is over. The most likely failure is the contactors inside the pack and a dealership won't repair it - they will only offer a complete replacement pack at some ridiculous price that is more than the value of the car. Fortunately, there are shops that will drop the pack, open it and replace the contactors for a reasonable price.

6. ferlevkov

ferlevkov New Member

hmm, sounds somewhat familiar. my extended warranty expired (thankfully after the drive motor was replaced under it last year), and i've been unable to find an extended-extended warranty. the previous extended factory warranty did cover the main drive battery.
    my current problem is similar to Ocean2's - with the added issue of not being able to 'charge now' - it seems to fail to recognize that a charger is connected - either the 110v, the home 220v, or a commercial chargepoint. i had the car towed yesterday, disonnected the positive connector off the battery for a couple of minutes and then plugged in my 220v charger, leaving it on the programmed charge mode. this morning i see it charging, but it stopped short of being full. what else can i do? the plethora of dashboard messages included: "charging malfunction - check external power supply" what to do? i susect some internal issue - the battery energy histogram on the dash is about 3/4 on - corresponding to the 80 mile range.
    i suspected the charging connector contacts, but the repetitous nature lends me to think it's a non-mechanical issue. ...??? i called the local toyota dealer and left a message in their service dept. (they stayed open until 9 i'm told).

Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. miimura

miimura New Member

How old is your 12V battery? It is possible that the 12V battery could cause the issues you mentioned like not charging to full. It could also be a fault in the on-board charger. If the dealer has the proper Tesla RAV Diagnostics program, they can see exactly what's going on.

9. ferlevkov

ferlevkov New Member

thanks - the 12v battery is relatively new (2 years) and is in good shape, yes. there are other signs of trouble - intermittently, the seat warmers at times turn on at startup without my touching the switch actuator.
    after some discussion with a fellow engineer (my son :) yesterday afternoon, i applied a healthy dosage of contact cleaner to the charging connectors and this morning it was charged fully (i asked for an extended charge, just in case ...). the strange thing is that it points to another cocnrn - it came back as 133 mile range ...
    i plan to contact the charger company about their maintenance recommendations.
    by the way what is going on with the myrav4ev forum?

10. ferlevkov

ferlevkov New Member

clipper creek recommended i use contact cleaner to spray and and then swab the car's charging connector contacts.
    133 mile range still in play ...