‘21 Bolt or wait for ‘22

Discussion in 'Bolt EV' started by Yonno, May 13, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Yonno

Yonno New Member

I am considering a Bolt (formerly a Honda Clarity owner) and am wondering whether its worth waiting for the new platform ‘22 model year or take advantage of the significant promotions available now for the ‘21 Bolt. Was looking at a fully loaded Premiere @$32K.

Sent from my iPad using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Spoonman.

Spoonman. Member

The 2022 Bolt doesn't have a bigger battery; the EUV has some improvements but a lower range and is going to be more expensive. So I don't see a lot of reason to wait.

4. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

This post implies that the only thing that matters about an EV is its range. The '22 Bolt will have the same range, but a different feature set.

I believe the '22 EV will have adaptive cruise control. However, you cannot get roof rails on any trim; those are only for the EUV. In my case, ACC wouldn't help me too often, but I use the roof rails all the time, carrying skis, kayaks, and cargo. But if you live in LA, for example, and commute in that traffic, then perhaps ACC is a game changer for you.

5. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

And to be clear, the ACC / roof rails are just one of many differences. I think you should look at the complete set of features and determine what you value.

6. miatadan

miatadan Active Member Subscriber

I think the newer 22 models look much better, more modern, better interior .
    Also pricing retail is lower by $5000 than the 21 models

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. miatadan

miatadan Active Member Subscriber

I think the newer 22 models look much better, more modern, better interior .
    Also pricing retail is lower by $5000 than the 21 models

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

9. To remove this ad click here.

10. Just got word yesterday that the '22 Bolts EVs and EUVs are on there way to dealerships now. I would imagine you can get a sweeter deal on a '21 after they arrive. But, you may really like the improvements to the '22, so I'd highly recommend taking each for a test drive and then deciding which is the best value for you.

ITown and GetOffYourGas like this.
  11. To remove this ad click here.

12. Tim Miser

Tim Miser New Member

Pricing is not lower, the 21 models have had an $8500 instant rebate (now $9000) for well over 2 years now making the new models, albeit a lower MSRP, actually more expensive.

Domenick likes this.
  13. kavade

kavade New Member

Yes, I agree. I have been looking at 2021 Bolts and see them advertised in Southern California for as low as $20,000. Not sure that figure is on the up and up though - wouldn't be surprised if a salesman said "Oh well, that's with XYZ discount that you don't qualify for." Still the average here is around 23 to 25 grand now for an LT.

14. Theodore21

Theodore21 New Member

I just bought my 2021 chevy bolt 2 days ago for less than $25K before uncle Sam take his cut, Incentives are hard to ignore I'm sure they won't last at the time of writing this comment they going to end tomorrow 6/1/21, there are not many Bolt available either, probably once the inventory runs out you can say good bye to these incentives.

Domenick likes this.
  15. Jim A

Jim A New Member

I actually rented a '21 Bolt for a weekend since I have also been considering. A couple of areas below.

Pros
    * Nice handling and this could improve with the EUV since it has a longer wheel base
    * Good/zippy acceleration which should be unchanged since the '21 and '22 are using the same engine
    * True one-pedal driving which should apply to both years (didn't think I was going to like this, but it was nice to drive that way)
    * I think you could get 300 miles of range in the summer if you drive conservatively

Cons (mostly of the '21)
    * What's with the seats - the left support of the driver's seat actually dug into my thigh/buttocks when I didn't make sure to get over far enough (and I'm not really all that big - less than 180 lbs) - the seats are supposed to be improved in the '22
    * Interior is supposed to be improved in the '22
    * No adaptive cruise control option in the '21 or the option for hands-free driving like in the '22 EUV

The seats alone would be a no-starter for me on the '21. Haven't looked at the '22 yet.

16. To remove this ad click here.