Tire pressure warning not going away

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Atul Thakkar, May 14, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Atul Thakkar

Atul Thakkar Active Member

Hello,
    Recently I got a warning on screen to check tire pressure. I checked and ensured that all wheel has right pressure. Even after that this warning is not going away from the screen and comes in every time I start the car. Is there a way to reset it ?

If yes , please let me know , Thanks.

Ragman likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

DaleL and LegoZ like this.
  4. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

From the manual:

upload_2020-5-14_15-43-18.png
    upload_2020-5-14_15-44-0.png

DaleL, insightman and LegoZ like this.
  5. Atul Thakkar

Atul Thakkar Active Member

Thank you to both excellent members. I have recalibrated it and now the sign is gone. Thanks so much for your help.

6. I had that happen and did the reset. Not until after stopping at a service station, fortunately in a decent part of town, and getting out to check the pressure at each tire, fortunately the weather was good, because Honda failed to install a conventional TPMS on the vehicle.

Reading the section in the manual again reminds me of reading the side effects of a prescription medication.

It may not come on if snow chains are used. It may come on if snow chains are used.
    Properly inflating tires in cold temperatures may lead to over-inflated tires in warm temperatures, but the system won’t come on in the event of over inflation.

I’d trade LKAS, RDMS, Hondalink and half the crap available on the infotainment system for a proper TPMS.

This works me up in the same way Insightman is disturbed by the inability to get his eCar or whatever it is. There’s no point in asking Honda for an explanation. We know how that goes.

OK. I’m over it.

Maybe.

insightman likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

Lol I love the response.

Funny thing is I actually prefer the simple Honda system over expensive and annoying sensors at each tire, which complicate tire changes, eventually fail, cost extra, get in the way of doing wheel swaps, etc.

Then again I’m old school. I actually own a tire pressure gauge, and I use it across my fleet every couple months, regardless of what type of TPMS system the vehicle has. Old habit I guess.

petteyg359 likes this.
  9. petteyg359

I keep a pop-up stick in the door pocket :)

10. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

Wow, I had no idea that Honda was using rev-comparison systems. What year of
    car is this? In the process of designing a rudimentary system for my Prius, I wrote
    a comparative piece years ago after looking pretty deeply into this. And that was
    after I read that the industry had basically given up on speed-sensing methods
    and gone with direct sensors because they deliver much more reliable data *and*
    can report temperature along with.

I suppose that nowadays, if a suitable "AI" can duplicate what my brain does when
    looking at my sensor-comparison output, it could make the same determinations.
    It has to take every ambient factor into consideration, though, the most obvious one
    being if you're turning, but how about bright sun on one side of the car, different
    surfaces or pavement quality between right and left, when the drive tires are under
    accelerative or braking load ... overviewing your recalibration instructions makes it
    clear that a long-term average is being taken, and the downside of that may be that
    a tire failure is not actually picked up in time before it becomes a real safety problem.

_H*

11. petteyg359

You ought to pick up any such problem yourself by feeling your car is handling differently. Besides, who wants to have to replace batteries in their tires?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

Wow! That rather reminds me of reading the opinions of the experts on Coronavirus on the media! Masks help, masks don't help; Chloroquine is good, Chloroquine is bad; Lockdown is necessary, lockdown is unnecesary etc... Sign of the times?
    Sorry, I apologize for the off-topic rant...

14. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

I installed one of these systems. It will last until the first battery fails, I remove them when taking the car for maintenance twice a year but don't want to go over all that battery change either. Still, I don't miss having to bend over to check tire pressure every week, but I have a bad back...

15. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

I read somewhere that the design was finalized in 2015 - it appears not to have been changed since.

16. What does 2015 technology have to do with the decision by Honda to use an indirect method to measure tire pressure?

Individual tire pressure sensors were used in the late 1980’s (Porsche) and in 1991 (Corvette). A Low Pressure Warning System or Tire Pressure Monitoring System has been required as standard equipment on passenger vehicles sold in the US since 9/2007.

Either technology was available in 2015. Audi used the indirect method in 2015 and the display actually informs the driver which tire has low pressure.

Honda’s choice of TPMS may be simple and inexpensive, it is also one notch away from being completely useless. With the addition of sending out false alarms, it also qualifies as annoying. I’ve had one false alarm in the first 6 months.

I’d rather change a battery in a valve stem sensor or the sensor itself every 5-7 years. At least you know where the problem lies, so you don’t have to run laps around the car on a cold rainy night, only to find that all the tires are properly inflated.

Apparently, I’m not over this.

hobbit likes this.
  17. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

I was answering petteyg359's question. My 2010 Honda Fit had in-wheel sensors - but didn't report which wheel was problematic, just that there WAS a problem. And with those tiny tires there was a problem ALL the time: If the outside temp when up or down, TPMS problem. If the car sat undriven for more than a day or two, TPMS problem. The sun was shining, TPMS problem. It was Thursday, TPMS problem... Perhaps tire pressure monitoring just isn't Honda's strong suit?

18. I bought a second set of sensors for ours. The first set just stopped working one day. These look to be easy for changing batteries.

19. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

The TPMS computer certainly knows which wheel is turning faster because its tire pressure is low--why keep that a secret from the driver? I know, I know, Honda is protecting us from TMI. Good old Honda, always thinking of us.

20. Hobbit,

While we don’t know what MY Clarity is owned by Atul Thakkar, 2018-19 would most likely be the correct answer.

21. Honda has us doing the right thing. Which is, getting out of the car to manually check the pressure at each tire to confirm that they are all properly inflated before getting back in the car to reset the system.

Why? Because it is not capable of actually measuring the tire pressure.

insightman likes this.