Is the EV range embellished?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Ken7, Sep 2, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ozy

ozy Active Member

So it is now in the 80's in Los Angeles I was hoping that my EV range would increase. It has crept up to 36 but still seems less than the 47 that I remember. I think the main culprit is that with Covid19 I am driving faster than I have before. The other day I kept a close watch on this and realized that traffic was moving at 80mph. I am assuming that if I slowed down to 65-70 the EV range would go up considerably.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Here in southeast Michigan, we're finally getting up to 60 degrees on a good day and driving 60-65 mph I'm back up to 49-50 miles of EV range. That's without drafting or the benefit of a large mass of cars around me going the same speed. I used to draft semi trucks in my Insight until I lost a windshield to a rock. Now that I know how expensive the Clarity windshields are, I stay far away from those semi trucks.

4. LAF

LAF Active Member

This car couldn't ever get 49 EV at highway speeds, only local driving

5. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

I think it’s more your speed than the temps you report since I see my historical max estimated EV range (actual ~5% less) return when temps reach mid 60s F.

FWIW, I get low to mid 60s EV estimated range and high 50s actual range with mixed city/hwy but that’s with max a speed of 55 mph on my local beltway. The only times I’ve driven faster have on the Interstate where I use HV since they’ve all been long trips.

My maximum range returns from its winter vacation when temps get back in the mid 60s which is late April for me. Running the AC doesn’t make a big difference at all but I have IR deflecting ceramic tint all around, including the windshield. So my AC usually runs on low speed and I never have to max it out to cool down a burning hot car.