Mini SE immediately available

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by CandidCIO, Apr 5, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. CandidCIO

CandidCIO New Member

I had put a down payment on a mini SE about 6 weeks ago. Today I contacted my Mini dealer in Portland to see if I could place an order. He responded with a list of 4 SEs that are now immediately available. Apparently people that had placed orders had to back out.

Adjustments.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

Domenick and insightman like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Wow! So tempting, but so far from Michigan. Unfortunately, I'm waiting for an Iconic trim SE, but your dealer has two Signature models and two Signature Plus models. I couldn't live without the unique, asymmetric Corona Spoke wheels. Here's a link to MINI of Portland's SE list.

CandidCIO likes this.
  4. SmartElectric

SmartElectric Member

27 available in inventory across Canada.
    Almost homogeneous specifications, very boring color combo's, and almost all premium spec ~$50K Canadian.
    With only a $5K Federal rebate, that's $45K before tax.
    FYI, tough sell against base Model 3 in Canada which is $40K before tax, less expensive, faster, better tech, 5 passenger, supercharging enabled.

https://mini.ca/en/shopping/inventory

Domenick, insightman and CandidCIO like this.
  5. fizzit

fizzit Active Member

I'm very tempted to go grab one of those two white Signature Plus cars. But I pre-ordered a red one so I'll wait to see if one of those will turn up. My local dealership said they haven't had any cancellations but they have more cars coming over the next two weeks.

6. interestedinEV

interestedinEV Well-Known Member

Mini is halting production for some time. If you are in a hurry, you may want to contact a dealer with stock and ask them to ship it to you (unless you live in nearby or are willing to chance travel to Portland in this case) as those whose order has not been actually processed will be delayed.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

Unfortunately, I gotta have the wheels and they come with only the Iconic (in the US anyway).

SmartElectric likes this.
  9. interestedinEV

interestedinEV Well-Known Member

@insightman tough choice. I know you have been waiting for this for a long time. I do not expect the supply chain to resume for at least 3-4 months may be longer. Realistically for the order to fulfill may take up to 6 months especially if they cater to European demand first. So you have to compromise on specifications and take the risk of it being shipped without you seeing it (unless you want to take the risk of going from Michigan to Oregon) or wait till this madness gets over and things start getting back to normal. Alternatively, look if there is any nearby dealer with the specs you want.

insightman likes this.
  10. SmartElectric

SmartElectric Member

29 available Canada wide. Looks to be that a few more dealers put their single inventory SE online. The dealer close to me sold their inventory car within a month, which is obvious as there is a lot of well to do EV owners in my locale. But other dealers are selling their cars, so that makes me wonder a bit about the color/options or popularity. Virus is absolutely an issue, but Tesla is selling their inventory down right now...

11. insightman

I suspect the problem is that the MINI Cooper SE costs as much in Canada as a Tesla.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. fizzit

fizzit Active Member

I ended up getting one of the white ones in Portland on Saturday. I'm really glad I did, they gave me a discount off MSRP and swapped the yellow mirror caps to black ones for free so it's very close to my preorder spec. The white color looks really nice, it has a silvery shine that doesn't show up as much in photos. And of course the car is amazing, I was impressed at how well the range held up even going 70MPH in the rain on the drive home.

14. insightman

Envy. How far was the drive home? Because you were driving 70 mph, I assume that you weren't worried about making it without stopping to charge. I'll be looking forward to your reports--it's great to have a second actual owner on this forum. Enjoy!

15. fizzit

fizzit Active Member

I wasn't too worried, it was around 180 miles and I stopped twice at Electrify America stations. They were 73 miles apart, so that was the longest stretch of the drive. I left the first at 92% SOC and arrived at the next at around 20%.

Thanks, it's great to have a community here to learn and share tips about the car, especially since this is its first year in production.

insightman and SmartElectric like this.
  16. Texas22Step

Texas22Step Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 17, 2020
  17. insightman

First, thanks for thinking of me, but traveling a 100-miles at a crack with 30-minute to 4-hour layovers, it would take a long time to drive from Houston to Ann Arbor. Where are these new MINIs coming from? The factory has been closed for a while.

I'm hoping my MINI of Ann Arbor saleslady is correct and the factory will resume operations this week and build the MINI I've been waiting for. I turned down an Iconic in March because I didn't want Enigmatic Black Metallic paint. It seems like I'm washing our nearly-black Moonlit Forest Pearl (green) Honda Clarity every time I turn around; a Moonwalk Grey MINI Cooper SE won't show the dirt as quickly.

I'm enjoying driving the Clarity on my short, rare out-of-house excursions these days, but now I wonder when the Clarity will ever get out of the garage after my MINI shows up. The MINI Cooper SE will be better suited (and more fun) for my short, rare excursions.

[The paragraph you knew was coming:] After my MINI arrives, I'll still be driving the Clarity while my local body shop is changing my MINI's hood to one without a fake, unaerodynamic hood scoop. I need to investigate how much I can get for a Moonwalk Grey MINI Cooper S hood on ebay. I'll have the factory box in which to ship it, but I anticipate a problem trying to cram the boxed-up "old" hood into the Clarity. MINI should be happy to put the less-expensive hood on my car at the factory--I told them I'd pay extra!

Last edited: May 17, 2020
  18. SmartElectric

SmartElectric Member

Update. 34 available across Canada, including some black and a few of the base models.

Domenick and insightman like this.