Guides when backing up

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Patrick Chin, Mar 15, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Patrick Chin

Patrick Chin New Member

I have a 2018 Clarity. About a week ago, I noticed that when I backed up, the yellow guides that show on the display just appeared straight, regardless of steering position (straight or turn). Has anyone experienced this? I'd like to know how it can be fixed. Thank you.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Page 449 of the owners manual.

You can order a hard copy of the manual here:

https://owners.honda.com/manualrequest/2018/Clarity Plug-In Hybrid

It takes a while to ship.

You can change the Fixed Guideline and Dynamic
    Guideline settings.

Read pages 306 307 308 and 309 to find the menu location of the adjustments.

Fixed Guideline
    On: Guidelines appear when you put the
    transmission into (R.
    Off: Guidelines do not appear.
    Dynamic Guideline
    On: Guidelines move according to the steering wheel

direction.
    Off: Guidelines do not move.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
  4. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

As @Tek_Freek suggests, it’s most likely because it’s set to fixed guideline instead of dynamic. Unfortunately, it’s a little unintuitive to find in the menu settings IMHO.
    Try going to
    Menu
    Settings
    Camera
    Rear Camera
    And then set Dynamic Guideline to on.

5. I agree. From page 308 in the manual.

upload_2020-3-14_23-46-18.png

6. Patrick Chin

Patrick Chin New Member

Thank you for helpful tips. I checked the setting and found that there is NO Dynamic Guideline option. I only found Fixed Guideline On/Off. Just to clarify, ever since I got the car two years ago, I never changed that setting, and it was working until a week ago. It's very strange that Dynamic Guideline option disappeared suddenly.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. stacey burke

stacey burke Active Member

If you turn off the "fixed guideline On/Off" to off will it show the option for dynamic guideline?

9. I bet “fixed guideline off” = “dynamic guideline on”.

10. Patrick Chin

Patrick Chin New Member

I did try "Fixed Guideline" OFF, and it made the guidelines disappear.

11. KentuckyKen

@Landshark , I’ll take you up on that bet because that’s not how my 2018 Touring works.
    On mine, the fixed and dynamic choices are separate buttons and must be set in a specific combination to get the dynamic guidelines.
    There are 4 possible combinations and only 1 produces the dynamic back up lines:
    Fixed off, dynamic off. No lines at all
    Fixed off, dynamic on. No lines at all
    Fixed on, dynamic off. Fixed lines
    Fixed on, dynamic on. Dynamic lines

So to get dynamic lines you have to have Dynamic AND Fixed selected.

It’s a strange way Honda set this up but the Oriental mind is inscrutable indeed.
    It seems like they’re treating dynamic as a subset of fixed.
    Why not just have 3 buttons, off, fixed, dynamic? Seems simpler to me.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Patrick Chin

Patrick Chin New Member

Hi Ken, That makes sense.

However, there is no Dynamic Guideline in the setting menu at all, so I'm torn. My daughter is having a driving test this Friday, and hopefully, this issue won't screw up. Since it was working before, the Dynamic must be there. Disappearing now is a mystery.

14. KentuckyKen

All hope may not be lost. If all you’re seeing is the fixed button with the dynamic button missing, it might be possible to resurrect it. On mine, one day I lost the normally bulletproof Bluetooth connection for playing music from my phone. Even stranger, on the Infotainment screen, there was NO Bluetooth button or selection possible at all. It was as if my Clarity shipped with out Bluetooth capability. It was just gone and I’m not talking about its functionality either. Its very presence was gone with no way to select it from screen or steering wheel or even reinstall and pair to my phone. After a few “What in the world is going on” moments, I did the head unit reset by holding down the Audio button. After reset, I had all the Bluetooth buttons and options back as if nothing happened. Go figure?!? Anyway, just wanted to let you know that you aren’t the only one who has had a functionality just disappear as if it never existed. So you aren’t going crazy.

So try a head unit reset and let us know if that restored the option for dynamic back up lines for you.
    If that fails, then you could try a hard reset by disconnecting the neg terminal of the 12 Volt battery for a few minutes. That sometimes fixes the odd electronic “hiccup”. You will get a lot of warning notifications, but they are harmless and will go away after a short drive.

15. KClark

KClark Active Member

I agree with Ken, you should reset the info screen or head unit. After driving my 2018 base model for more than a year the backup lines suddenly disappeared one day. I reset the head unit and things were back to normal.

16. Patrick Chin

Patrick Chin New Member

Resetting head unit did the trick. Dynamic Guidlines are working now, and it reappeared on the Setting menu as well.

Thank you so much Ken.

17. That sounds like hitting the “Start” button on Windows to turn the computer off.

If you’re ever near my undisclosed secure location in Oregon, I’ll treat you to lunch.

Hint: It isn’t near Portland.

KentuckyKen likes this.
  18. Olive

Olive New Member

I had a similar problem with the back-up camera this winter but with the multiple angles.

When the back-up camera is on when the car is on reverse, you can choose between 3 different angles:
    Wide, normal and close-up.

For almost all winter, only the Wide angle was available. When I pressed the normal or close-up angles, only the lines will change but not the angle.

Sometimes, I had wide and close-up available. Some other times, only Wide and Normal.

Did someone else experience this?
    It maybe related to cold and humidity, I’m in Canada (Quebec).