Built-in obsolescence?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Alantn, Aug 14, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Steven B

Steven B Active Member

Has anyone confirmed whether the TCU in the Clarity is 4g capable? While perusing the Toyota site, I came across this notice about 3g and can't find a similar statement from Honda. Apparently Toyota makes no plans to offer replacement transmitters for 3g units; car functionality will just stop working.
    https://www.toyota.com/audio-multimedia/support/3G-faq/

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Cash Traylor

Cash Traylor Well-Known Member

I sensed a lot of negativity in this thread about how this is going to play out and wanted to offer some DIY reassurance. Yes, this network change in 3G network retirement in 2022 will impact systems. Our vehicles are still under warranty when this happens and I would believe that Honda would need to address that. However if they don't the automotive industry is not the only one that is impacted by this infrastructure change. There is a massive legacy equipment impact and the market will fix it. No one is worried about your phones, go buy a new one - but alarm systems, industrial fail/fall back controls, aerospace, etc all have a fair amount of low data but remote connectivity requirements that often cannot be upgraded easily (we call them forklift upgrades).

See here: https://cellbounce.com/

This is not an insurmountable problem. The only issue is whether Honda would continue to allow your car to access their servers over the internet (however you make that happen). Their EULA and TOS define that - and your warranty period is part of that equation as is any "class action" suit. I would be willing to bet that if I fix my TCU, Honda would allow access, not sure about the price though.

I absolutely GUARANTEE there will be open source lightweight hardware solutions to this. Just dig up https://hackaday.com/ (already creative people are posting engineering solutions to help with covid online for free)

I am not worried,

Cash

4. Cash Traylor

As far as my testing that bug was patched in our head units. Keep in mind even though we are running 4.2.2, unlike your phones this tablet has custom firmware that has been industrialized. If you don't root it, it is more secure than your CANbuss architecture. Without physical access to the vehicle there is very little anyone can do remotely to the Clarity, other than turn your climate control on or stop your charger remotely - kinda boring for a hacker. You tablet has VERY little access to any critical systems on the FCAN buss. Now, give someone physical access to your vehicle and ALL bets are off. They can make it start up and drive away, but then so can a car thief with a fob spoofer. However, like some people that installed aftermarket alarms in their Clarity cars, I wonder why. The Clarity is made up of a short run (compared to other Honda lines) parts that are VERY specific to this vehicle. They are all digitally signed to this vehicle, some via VIN. A car thief would have very little to strip and sell. I know there are a lot of manufacturers that have specific vehicle models that are highly sought after by thieves for parting out, I just don't think the Clarity will ever be one of those.

Cheers,
    Cash

5. Windshield $1500
    Wheels $1100/ea
    I’d pay $3000 for the batteries.
    Headlights?
    Taillights?
    The door seal on the driver side rear door was $100.
    Doors, seats, body panels?

6. Cash Traylor

I found one report, in the available public databases, of a Clarity being stolen (a 2019 model in the NW). It was taken, while unlocked, and with the keys (later determined to be insurance fraud investigation dropped). I am sure it can happen and will. However, unlike the Civic it is extremely low risk due to the lack of buyers. I may be wrong, I haven't been a cop in almost 18 years so my instincts may be degraded....

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I’m not suggesting that a Clarity is a high target item for car thieves.

Only ~33K have been sold in the US in 2 years, compared to roughly 2 million Ford/ Chevy/Ram trucks sold each year. So it’s unlikely they’ll ever see one in their daily routine and even more unlikely that they would think, “This is exactly what I’ve been looking for.”

It is yet another advantage of Clarity ownership, that no one in their right mind, or their criminal mind, would want to steal one. It does have some expensive and valuable components.