Would you still buy 2020 Clarity Plug In or Something else?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by sarosam, Feb 27, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Cash Traylor

Cash Traylor Well-Known Member

You should post a poll. Yes, I would buy again! And in fact would own two if the need in my family existed. My daughter has already told me she wants my car when she begins to drive (and thankfully mine will still be under warranty, bought the extended plan)! So, if the time comes and Honda still makes this vehicle, by any name, I would buy a replacement. I've owned Acuras, Cadillacs, and Mustangs, and due to my job have rented and drove about every other manufacturer's offering in this class. I really like this car, great bang for the buck, especially with the incentives! Plus I just upgraded my Clarity with an Infinite Improbability Drive for almost unlimited range. I have the upgraded Sport package (badge) on order and will be installing that as well. Should really enhance 0-60 performance. I tried ordering a P100D Dual Motor badge for an enhancement to ludicrous speed (which I understand can cause the speedometer to go to "plaid") however that was going to be REALLY EXPENSIVE!! Seems Tesla will not sell those things aftermarket... Need to call my buddy Rich and see if he can hook me up with some chromed plastic!

Cheers,

Cash

Sandroad likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. @Cash Traylor, now you've got me tempted to get a P100D badge to put on the trunk lid of my Clarity when it arrives :)

Hitchhiker's Guide references fully appreciated.

Cash Traylor likes this.
  4. Nemesis

Nemesis Active Member

I have a 2018 purchased in March 2018. 33,000 Massachusetts miles and have traveled to Georgia with 5 people and luggage twice and planning our July trip this year. I would buy again in a heart beat. I am actually thinking of buying a 2and Clarity to be honest. Such a steal of a car.

sarosam likes this.
  5. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Apologies for continuing to perpetrate this thread drift. A P100D badge would certainly upset a Tesla Model S owner. However, if you REALLY want to upset the Tesla crowd, snag this Michigan license plate before a Tesla owner gets it.

upload_2020-2-28_11-51-18.png

Interestingly, you can't get a plate that reads PLOOD. "This pattern is not allowed: Two letters followed by two numbers and one letter." Similarly, nobody gets P100D: "This pattern is not allowed: One letter followed by three numbers and one letter."

Back to thread: I love our Clarity PHEV and don't regret having paid MSRP to get the first one in Michigan--I had to agonize while waiting a year after Honda announced it was coming, but it was worth the wait. However, I've been waiting for my electric MINI Cooper since 2008--only a couple of months to go. Then the gas station will become an infrequent annoyance. After the last gas-guzzling Insight from our collection goes to its next owner, only our Clarity will need to visit that place, and only once in a while.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
    Cash Traylor likes this.
  6. I’m unclear on this Tesla obsession? Are you trying to irritate Tesla owners or be like them?

I’d say most Tesla owners wouldn’t give a Clarity a second look. They certainly won’t be intimidated by one, regardless of the badges slapped on the trunk. One Tesla owner I know, did however, say the Clarity had nice lines. But he bought a car that looks like it drove off the screen of a Pixar movie.

If you must have a Vanity plate, for whatever reason, why not try PCD?

When in Rome...

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Just silly stuff...

fotomoto, insightman and Cash Traylor like this.
  9. sarosam

sarosam New Member

https://www.digitaltrends.com/car-reviews/2019-honda-clarity-review/

@css28 , see the review I was referring to.

10. I thought it a little funny that he gave the 1.5L engine credit for 211 hp.

Bottom line is that the "inefficiency" that he decries is based on the rated 42 mpg in hybrid mode compared with the 48 mpg rating of the Accord hybrid. This amounts to an extra 0.3 gallon/100 miles.

In my mind, the biggest flaw in the review was when he compared its price with those of the Accord Hybrid and the Prius Prime. The Clarity qualifies for a $7,500 federal tax credit, the Prius Prime gets a $4,502 tax credit and, of course, the Accord Hybrid gets none. This makes a big difference to those of us who have sufficient tax burden to benefit from the credit.

11. Hoon

Hoon Member

I would buy again if there is a $7k off MSRP. On top of that, there's $2.5k Oregon rebate, plus $7.5k tax refund.

I really like the car, but the infotainment system is really crap. Very slow old tech.
    Engine noise - could really use more noise dampening. When the engine runs in city, it feels like there's a lawn mower or a gas powered leaf blower near by.

I wish the user can adjust the battery full limit manually. The remote app is very slow and not responsive. Doesn't work a lot of the time.

If I'm not getting this crazy much discount, then I'd probably look for some other SUV or sub $20k car. I'm coming from a 2015 Mini Hardtop until last year August.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Agzand

Agzand Active Member

Few people buy the same car twice in a row, so if I was buying a car today maybe I would buy or wait to buy something else. But Clarity is a great car for the price, so I still think it was the best option for me when I bought it. Regarding RAV4 PHEV, I don't think pricing will be compelling for at least a year. The main deciding factor is if it will be your only car, or you have another car for road trips. I don't have a road trip car, so for me the PHEV route was the better option.

If I had a long range BEV instead, it wouldn't have made a significant difference in my gas usage, I think I use about 3 gallons a month, including road trips. I would have had to use a rental on three occasions during the past year and a half, as a BEV is inconvenient for the road trips that I do.

14. TomL

TomL Active Member

Same for me after seven months and 20,000 miles.

15. cyberteen

cyberteen Member

I know most of you guys love your Clarity here.
    But, as a person without a car yet( my first car), but planning to buy a PHEV. Would you guys recommend waiting for the RAV4 plug-in or go for the Clarity?

Personally, I am confused. The RAV4 specs seems great despite slight ev range reduction.

16. Your first car or first new car? My first several cars were used, but if you've got the resources, go for it.

I think that comes down to what sort of vehicle you want.
    Do you want Accord-size sedan or an SUV?
    In my situation I'll gladly accept the higher efficiency and ride comfort of a sedan at the expense of what an SUV has to offer.

It's also very possible that the RAV4 PHEV will be very expensive, once you've got it opted up to your preferences.

cyberteen likes this.
  17. Cash Traylor

Cash Traylor Well-Known Member

In this forum, and seems appropriate for this thread's discussion, so linking here. As once you decide on the frame you have to decide on the power plant (aviation humor). If you want a truck get a truck, and SUV get an SUV, a sedan - well, you get the idea. After that decision, what makes it go is next (at least now we have more than diesel or gas, (or CNG/Propane for the old exotics), we have electric (or angry pixies according to my friend). Great drive system review here. Of course, used or new applies as well - but I'll leave that question to others. The Clarity was my first "new" car ever and I'm 46... However, would not have done that if the tax credits were not there.

https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/honda-hybrid-the-best-explanation-ive-seen.8419/

Cheers,

Cash

18. What do you want or need in a vehicle?

You’re looking at 2 vehicles with many different features. Many, if not most, SUV’s and trucks are bought for reasons such as:
    I need more room.
    I need a 4x4 (AWD)
    I may need to tow a ...
    I need to haul stuff.
    And then they never get used for the stated purpose.

The RAV looks neat, it actually looks like every other mini SUV out there, is hip and trendy and will certainly elevate anyone’s cool factor with their friends. The Clarity is a bit stodgy looking, wheel skirts and all. It isn’t a peppy, zippy car. Perhaps more suited to middle aged and older folks.

If you’re a youngster, as your handle implies, the RAV may better suit your tastes.

cyberteen likes this.
  19. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

I would not buy another Clarity. The car is fine. But I can't recall the last time I bought the same vehicle twice in a row. I don't like being in a rut. Variety is the spice of life, man. Been there, done that, don't want the T-shirt.

cyberteen likes this.
  20. Atkinson

Atkinson Active Member

Wife's Chevy lease is coming up, we are in for another Clarity!

cyberteen and sarosam like this.
  21. Timothy

Timothy Active Member

Would absolutely buy again. We have a Clarity and a Volt. The Clarity is much nicer, the Volt was cheaper. Both my wife and I have short commutes, so the ≈50 miles EV range for each car is perfect. We have two (almost) all electric cars at a (creatively) reasonable price. The rare times we travel further, they are solid hybrids. If your commute fits the Clarity's profile, I would not hesitate to recommend the car.

Johnhaydev, cyberteen and sarosam like this.
  22. cyberteen

cyberteen Member

Thanks for the comments guys. The clarity's ev range definitely suits my current 2 mile (one-way) commute, lol. I already bike to work most of the week.
    I am also concerned about Clarity's future, if it gets discontinued, for the parts and repair issues. RAV4 phev coming from a mainstream model maybe more reliable in that case? Just my thoughts. Feel free to share yours.

23. cyberteen

cyberteen Member

Definitely do not need any extra room for a single young guy. Also no hauling, towing business here. If the RAV4 base (i.e. SE) is priced similar to Clarity's base, just feel that it might be more value for price in the future.