Best Option for Audio Display Screen Protector

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Cali65, Dec 18, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Hoon

Hoon Member

Hey guys, I probably mocked you guys for putting a screen protector in the car infotainment system. I come back corrected. I wiped down my screen with a paper napkin and it left scratch marks. Also used microfiber, I think it's continuing to make scratches once in a while. Fingers alone are not going to scratch the screen.

The screen is so flimsy. I wish they used Gorilla glass like most phones, and I wouldn't have cared for a screen protector. Now I'm looking for a cheap option. Any advice on cheapo tempered glass? Maybe I'll just cut a 3M paint protection film and paste it on.

I hate this slow and sluggish infotainment system. I wish they put something more modern. Opening up Climate Control sometimes takes a few seconds.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I've used this, which is no longer available, on phones and tablets with very good results. There are plenty of others available so I'll probably use it on the Honda. I tried a protector, but even though there was no dust under the screen I could not get the air bubbles out. I lifted and reset three times with the same results. The third time it had some dust so I threw it away. Very disappointing.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B007EZ3EM0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

4. Heino

Heino Active Member

Thanks for the recommendation! The Photodon screen protector works great!

5. rodeknyt

rodeknyt Active Member

I wouldn't do that. If the paint protection film doesn't pass conductivity through it, the touchscreen won't respond to your touches.

6. bill_m

bill_m Member

Some years ago I had asked an employee at the Apple Store how they kept their screens so clean with so many customers pawing over them, and they said they used and recommended Sanus Screen Cleaning Gel. It is a spray that comes equipped with a small chamois style rag. I have been using it on the Clarity Screen, as well as all my computer screens, and it has been terrific.:)

KentuckyKen likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Insighter

Insighter Active Member

Is the screen the same on the 2020 touring? I think some features are different, but I don't know if the screen size is the same.

9. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

AFAIK, the only change to the 2020 Clarity PHEV is with the Acoustic Vehicle Alerting System (pedestrian warning sound). It stays on to a higher speed and it may not operate if the engine is running. What features do you believe have changed?

10. Insighter

Insighter Active Member

I'm not sure about this. This is based on things my salesperson told me, but I believe that the Hondalink features may be different. Then again, my salesperson said the Clarity's HondaLink could do certain things I've since learned it cannot do, so, now that I think of it, those things may be no different and there may be no other differences than the ones you mentioned. This is why forums are great, and I greatly appreciate everyone's input!

Cash Traylor and insightman like this.
  11. Cash Traylor

Cash Traylor Well-Known Member

I had been reluctant to do this, as in my mind I didn't see the need (my screen is still unblemished). However after looking at the reviews here, I went with the Photodon MXH, and have to say that it worked great. At first I thought it was a little pricey for a film versus a hardened glass product, but the kit is professional, several accessories and the "test" piece was appreciated. The final result looks great, performs as advertised (glare reduction), and I am sure will last longer than I need it to. No regrets, thanks for bringing it and the company to my attention (this forum has been the best source of information and support for our "unique" vehicle I have found).

As a side note, I had been using "Whoosh" screen cleaner (@ Amazon) on it for the past two years very happily (use it on my phones too) as it does a great job and seems to reduce the finger prints. I will have to look into that product mentioned above, Sanus Screen Cleaning Gel, as well.

Cheers,

Cash

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Naughtysauce

Naughtysauce Member

After seeing the terrible condition these expensive screens were in the used market, when I found one w/ a screen that was in good condition, I put a glass screen protector from Amazon immediately.

My tip is to do a wet install to avoid bubbles, some water and a tiny drop of dish soap in a sprayer is all you need. It will slide around, but if you're persistent, it will align better and look OEM.