Carlos Ghosn arrested

Discussion in 'General' started by jdbob, Nov 19, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. gooki

gooki Well-Known Member

Pushmi-Pullyu likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. interestedinEV

interestedinEV Well-Known Member

And as the soap opera continues, Nissan and its customers are paying the price

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/nissan-hits-former-chairman-carlos-ghosn-91-million-lawsuit-n1135916

Nissan hits former Chairman Carlos Ghosn with $91 million lawsuit

............The lawsuit Nissan filed on Wednesday seeks to recover, among other things, legal and other costs connected with the long probe into alleged misconduct by Ghosn.

Nissan itself has faced a series of troubles related to the scandal. It paid fines in both the U.S. and Japan related to alleged overpayments to Ghosn. Nissan itself has suffered a sharp drop in sales and earnings that some industry analysts link to the ongoing Ghosn affair.

The company is set to report its latest earnings on Thursday, with analysts expecting the first quarterly decline since 2009.

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

The hits keep coming, http://www.autoline.tv/daily/?p=66077#more-66077:

NISSAN STEPS OFF A CLIFF
    Nissan reported its latest financial earnings and the numbers are cause for concern. Sales of vehicles fell 8%, revenue dropped 12%, and its net profit dropped 88%. That’s a profit margin of only one half of one percent, and it prompted Nissan to eliminate its dividend. This is a company in deep trouble and it’s only going to get worse. Japanese companies operate on a fiscal year that runs from the end of March to the end of March. That means there’s one more quarter to go and none of these numbers reflect the impact of the corona virus on Nissan’s Chinese operations.

If Ghosn was setup in some sort of Nissan 'palace coup', it has terribly backfired.

Bob Wilson

DaleL likes this.
  5. gooki

gooki Well-Known Member

Has it backfired? 40% of the dividend goes to Renault.

One way to end a relationship is to starve the other party.

But yeah it's going to be interesting to see how Nissans financials play out as they switch from Ghosns volume strategy to attempting higher margins.

6. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

That was the impression I got from other analyses of the situation regarding Nissan's corporate performance since ousting Ghosn.

Whatever was planned by those at Nissan who conspired to oust Ghosn and distance the company from Renault, at least in the short term it appears to have backfired rather badly. Maybe they're taking the long view, or maybe -- as seems to be the case -- they have done something quite foolish, not to mention unethical and immoral.

DaleL and bwilson4web like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. papab

papab Member

It seems like Ghosen gave them plenty of unethical material for them to work with

9. Pushmi-Pullyu

You're asserting that Carlos Ghosn did something, or a series of things, that are unethical? Please explain.

I don't see that he did anything wrong here, and so far as I'm concerned, he's to be admired and congratulated for holding up under months of intensive interrogation coupled with solitary confinement, while being denied contact with his lawyers. He's also to be admired and congratulated for engineering his escape from confinement despite being closely watched.

Of course you're entitled to your opinion, but I wonder if you actually understand the facts of this case.

DaleL likes this.
  10. interestedinEV

Well I do not know how you read it, but Carlos Ghosn settled with the SEC over undisclosed compensation. The US SEC is not the Japanese Ministry of Justice and they would not have filed charges unless they believed there was some validity to their case. (And yes, I believe they were right to file charges against Elon, in case that comes up). To be fair, Ghosn did not admit guilt and he never actually got the money which SEC claimed Nissan and Ghosn were trying to hide. You are right that Goshn has never been tried and convicted, he has only been accused. And by the rules of civilized societies, he is innocent until proven guilty. However, based on what I hear, one can legitimately wonder whether Goshn played fast and loose with the rules.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/23/ex-nissan-ceo-ghosn-settles-sec-charges-over-undisclosed-compensation.html

The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission settled charges Monday against former Nissan CEO Carlos Ghosn and former director Gregory Kelly over false financial disclosures that omitted more than $140 million in total compensation.

Ghosn, with substantial assistance from Kelly and others, attempted to conceal more than $90 million of his pay from 2009 until his arrest in Tokyo in November 2018, according to the SEC. The scheme also included increasing Ghosn’s pension by more than $50 million.

The commission said Nissan omitted more than $140 m.......

Meanwhile, Nissan, Ghosn, and Kelly all settled without admitting or denying such allegations and findings, the SEC stated.

Pushmi-Pullyu likes this.
  11. Pushmi-Pullyu

I had forgotten that part of the story. Thanks for the reminder.

You're right, that does not at all look good for Ghosn. Other stories seem to indicate that Ghosn left the matter of reporting his very complex compensation package from Nissan up to his accountant(s) and/or his tax attorneys, that other Nissan execs had signed off on his compensation, and that the only "failure" was failing to report to the Japanese tax authorities compensation before he had actually received it!

But yes, if the SEC filed charges independently and Ghosn settled rather than fighting the charges, then that does rather strongly suggest that there was some malfeasance on his part.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. gooki

gooki Well-Known Member

Settling with the SEC is often cheaper than fighting for your innocence. It proves nothing.

What is appauling, is Nissan pleading guilty in Japan and not guilty in USA.

14. gooki

gooki Well-Known Member

15. This should be interesting. Ghosn is going to address the Automotive News World Congress March 24-25. Remotely, of course.
    Sort of funny that in his bio on the Automotive News conference site, there's no mention of the last few chapters in his story.

Ghosn.jpg

16. gooki

gooki Well-Known Member

Bonkers. I hope there's a recording of it.

Domenick likes this.
  17. interestedinEV

I am going to digress a little bit from the specific case of Carlos Ghosn into the case of this person who has spent 50 years on death row in Japan. Acquitting this man even though DNA evidence shows that the blood on his pants was not those of the victims, will apparently interfere with the 99% conviction rate. After reading this story I can understand why Carlos Ghosn feels that he will not get a fair trial and that it will take years to even get to court. Yes, even in the US it takes a long time for a court trial (except in TV serials) and for the death sentence to be carried out, but 50 years is ridiculous. Unfortunately I do not know what the truth is, but there are no winners, not Ghosn, not Nissan, not the Japanese Judicial system.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/21/asia/japan-death-penalty-hakamada-hnk-intl/index.html
    This Japanese man spent almost five decades on death row. He could go back

In January, Nissan's Carlos Ghosn, who fled criminal prosecution in Japan, pointed to his time in solitary confinement and blasted the Japanese legal system, saying it "violates the most basic principles of humanity."

Domenick likes this.
  18. bwilson4web

I am not an advocate of capital punishment. Life in an Alabama prison could be worse ... thank Gawd for Mississippi!

One thing about 'life' versus killing them is the pressure for retrial significantly reduces. It doesn't go away but it means the convicted are housed until death. And if they kill someone while in prison, isolation, high security works.

Had McVeigh been kept alive another 10 months, 911 would have happened and that would a perfect punishment for that donkey's rectum.

Bob Wilson

19. bwilson4web

I suspect Netflix is working on the full script already.

Bob Wilson

electriceddy likes this.
  20. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

I bet these guys didn't see this coming - otherwise they would have gone to Lebanon as well. They are going to end up in a Japanese jail and there won't be any way to sneak out of the country.

21. Pushmi-Pullyu

Yeah, I was surprised that actually got coverage on the NBC Nightly News. I would not have thought it would have attracted that much attention.

I guess it shouldn't be too big a surprise that Japan exerted enough political pressure to get those guys arrested; they should have arranged to take an extended "vacation" in another country!

22. KENNY likes this.