Polestar 2 compared with Tesla Model 3

Discussion in 'Polestar 2' started by Domenick, Feb 26, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Ahead of tomorrow morning's big reveal, I wrote up a piece comparing the Polestar 2 to the Tesla Model 3. I was pretty surprised at how many similarities there were. Perhaps I shouldn't have been, considering that the company says they designed it to compete with the American car.

They are both midsize four-door sedans with glass roofs. Model 3 has a trunk, Polestar 2 features a hatch with auto close.
    Both have a front trunk (frunk), but the one in the Polestar is comparatively tiny at 34 liters (1.2 cubic feet) to the 3's 424.8 liters (15 cubic feet).

Here are some of the main takeaways:

Price:
    Polestar 2 = $40,000 to $63,000
    Model 3 = $42,900 to $60,900

Range:
    Polestar = 275 miles
    Model 3 = 264 - 310 miles

Performance:
    Polestar 2 = 408 horsepower, 487 lb-ft torque. 0-to-100 kph (62 mph) 4.7 seconds targeted
    Model 3 performance: 450 horsepower, 471 lb-ft torque. 0-to-60 mph 3.3 to 5.6 seconds (depending on trim)

Dimensions:
    Polestar 2
    Length 181.4 inches
    Height 58.2 inches
    Width 70.9 inches
    Wheelbase 107.7 inches

Tesla Model 3
    Length 184.8 inches
    Height 56.8 inches
    Width 76.1 inches
    Wheelbase 113.2 inches

DC fast charging:
    Polestar 2 = 150 kW
    Tesla Model 3 = 120 kW

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. christar

christar New Member

For some reason I m excited with this vehicle...

Does anyone have information about when that go on production and when could be available in the EU?

Domenick likes this.
  4. July of 2020 for the top spec launch edition in Sweden, Norway, UK, Germany, Netherlands, and Belgium. Other Euro countries will follow but no timeframe given. I would imagine not too long after.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  5. Guildenstern

Guildenstern New Member

On a pure specification level, it's hard to justify over Model 3 Performance.

Cars aren't all about numbers, though, and the Polestar 2 should attract a number of buyers. It's pretty attractive. I really like the lift back.

6. T.C.

T.C. Member

Polestar 2 is taking pre-orders now in the UK for 2020 delivery.
    Whilst the initial price structure makes it look competitive with the Tesla 3, the marketing structure proves otherwise.
    In the Uk we have (yet another) tax on luxury vehicles. Defined as those with a OTR price of £40k plus.
    Tesla structured their model three to enter the market in rear wheel drive form, at just below this platform.
    Polestar however are only allowing configuration of top level Polestar 2's at the top spec' £52k plus level.
    I fear the Polestar brand will miss a huge number of UK sales adopting this strategy.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. T.C.

T.C. Member

Pricing structure and model availability is very frustrating in the UK.
    A Tesla model 3, priced in USA at 35k or £27500 in sterling cannot be ordered here for under £42000! Yes the most basic model 3 in UK is over 52k US dollars!
    A Polestar, widely announced to be available for 35000 euro, £27750 sterling, cannot be ordered for under £55000 at this time.

9. I noticed the other day that the price for a Model 3 seemed super high. I just went through the UK site and came up with £39,490 for the cheapest Model 3 with no options. I assume that includes the tax. The price in the US does not include sales tax, so that's part of the reason for the difference, I guess.

10. T.C.

T.C. Member

The £39490 is the price if the government £3500 grant is abstracted from the actual £42000 price tag. That grant will very probably vanish as more zero emission cars become available here. Unfortunately the luxury car tax in the UK is based on the RRP standard price, not on what is actually paid. That luxury car tax amounts to a further £1500 over the next five years.
    I would most probably have ordered a Polestar 2 had the 35000 euro model been offered.
    Why companies are permitted to advertise a 35000 euro model, but not produce or sell it, is simply scandalous.
    At least Mini have committed to production of all the range of cars they announced.

11. Ah, I see it now. I had thought this would be a price before any incentives. Here's the breakdown from the site with the grant in red.

Purchase Price £39,490
    Includes VAT of approx. £7,165
    Includes destination and documentation fee of £990
    Includes £3,500 UK Plug-In Car Grant

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. RLove

RLove New Member

I spotted a Polestar 2 in our area and fell in love. I didn't even know that they were available as of yet. We tracked down a dealership and test drove one. It has beautiful lines, and I really wanted to like it - but it seems SO cramped inside whereas the Tesla 3 that we ended up ordering feels spacious...for $8K less.